1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penguins for sale - still and again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SoSueMe, Dec 17, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I wish I were so optimistic.

Fact is, the Penguins have been sounding the red light for a few years now. And no movement has been made.

Mark, there's still bad blood from the IOC deal, methinks.

2. Simon

Simon Active Member

OKC pulled out today but that's the only news I've seen on this front. Anything else?

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

But isn't their lease now up at the end of this year or next leaving little if any leagal battles in their way to get out?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sounds like you know as much about Pittsburgh as I do about Hamilton. It is definitely a football town. The Penguins were number two ahead of the Pirates for a while, but that's not the case any more.

When they faced losing the Pirates, it was a big deal as much because of the history as anything. That is a very old franchise and even with the lousy attendance, a major part of Pittsburgh.

Hockey had a nice run of about 15 or 20 years where people in Pittsburgh cared, but I don't think that is the case right now. Give Crosby some time to draw people back in and maybe that will change, but the kid is only in his second season.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It is, Beef. And really, I'd love to see the Pens stay. I just don't sense an outcry to keep them here, though.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Misunderstood your previous post. I thought you meant that the Pens hadn't moved yet. I gather you mean the city, right?
    If so I completely agree, there isn't much for the Pens to stay for, especially if the city continues to do little about getting a stadium for them.

My question is though, if Billionare Burkle is so willing to help out Mario and the Pens time after time, why isn't he stepping up and laying the financial groundwork for a stadium for the Pens?

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Why buy something you can get for free?

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

From a report I read tonight, Oklahoma City is out of the running for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted