1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penguins beat writer — DKPittsburghSports.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, May 23, 2018.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

DKPittsburghSports.com, the country's first independent local sports media subscription site, is searching for a full-time primary beat writer to cover the five-time Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins and the National Hockey League.

All applicants must have experience at a professional media outlet. Our goal is to hire a reporter with a hunger for breaking news, an imagination for enterprise, a gift for connecting and communicating with readers, exceptional writing skill, the ability to handle TV and radio as needed, a willingness to travel across North America and, of course, an extensive knowledge of hockey.

Our company, created in July 2014 when award-winning columnist Dejan Kovacevic left Pittsburgh newspapers to form his own subscription site, currently has 10 full-time reporters/photographers and covers the Penguins, Pittsburgh Steelers, Pittsburgh Pirates, University of Pittsburgh footbball and basketball, Penn State football and Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC soccer on a year-round, full-travel basis. The site is credentialed by the NHL, NFL, Major League Baseball, NCAA and U.S. Olympic Committee, among others. The business itself is profitable and growing, built from the ground up with no outside assistance and no debt.

If there are any questions, contact Dali Kovacevic, director of operations, or Dale Lolley, editor in chief, at Careers@DKPittsburghSports.com

Salary
    $50,000 to $55,000

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Beat writer, Pittsburgh Penguins, NHL

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Are threesomes part of the hiring process?

wicked likes this.
  3. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Before this thread gets hijacked, so you have the PG also hiring for Pens beat writer as well, which makes for interesting times as far as Pittsburgh hockey scribes go. Let the competition begin.

4. ss90

ss90 Member

Squeezing this comment in before this thread gets overrun: Kovacevic is a complete pig, yes, but he's dramatically scaled back his involvement with the daily operation. My attitude is you're going to have more than your fair share of horrible bosses in this industry, so might be worth the experience. Word of caution: I don't believe the company provides benefits and makes writers book their own accommodations. Worth double-checking.

Top comment is still funny, though.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Lol. Does overrun = locked? Is this the site whose owner is a millionaire?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and you're not

7. cjericho

Yes, so since you are is he a member of your club?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It was sarcasm. This is what the poster who said he’s a millionaire ended his post with.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  9. cjericho

Forgot that, wasn't sure if this was the place where someone said the guy was a millionaire. That's why i asked, remember some of the thread.

JC likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Lack of bennies is should always give one pause, but is booking one's own accommodations a bad thing? As long as I'm allowed a reasonable budget and reimbursed promptly, I'm happy to do that and boost the Marriott points, etc.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I believe the context of it is that these folks are staying in Motel 6s/Super 8s/Knights Inns, not Marriotts or even Hampton Inns. Ordinarily I’d jump at a $50,000 salary in Pittsburgh. It’s not horrible for that city. There’s got to be a catch.

12. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I'd say the site's checkered history with exactly how its paying staff members - are they salaried with benefits? Are they contractors? - as well as the notable issue it had with treatment of several female employees would be the catch.

Draft saved Draft deleted