1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penguins Arena Deal Done?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dude, Mar 12, 2007.

1. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Oddly, the Pittsburgh Trib is reporting that the Pens will skate at the backyard rink of new Steelers coach Russ Grimm.

2. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

That made my day. Thank you. ;D

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

KC doesn't have to worry too much, because there are about 8-10 Sun Belt NHL franchises they can go after at any time. Attendance has been off league-wide this year, and REALLY off in the southern cities.

Hell, didn't the voters of Sacramento just shoot down a property tax increase for a new arena last November? If KC has a brand-spanking new arena just waiting for a new tenant, why don't they just try to bring the Kings home?

Certainly, there must be some resourceful citizens in Pittsburgh who can convince Madden it would be in his best interests to get the hell out of town.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Is Pittsburgh really the winner here?

I mean somebody has to pay for this shit. Bend over and say "fuck me..real hard."

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would love that. I just can't see the Maloofs taking a team to KC when they want to spend so much time in Vegas, when Sactown is so much closer to Vegas.

6. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_406254.html

Who's fucked if the team leaves?

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

These aren't just teams. They are businesses, and any team's departure would be similar to that of a Fortune 1000 company pulling up and moving out. It's a tremendous financial hit to a community, especially to the non-profits who work closely with the team.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Virtually every "economic study" purporting to show the financial impact of professional sports franchises on metropolitan communities is astronomically exaggerated.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Yeah, I'll grant you that studies are exaggerated -- on both sides, really. Still, while you can bicker around the figures, you can't deny there is a financial impact when a team departs.

But let me ask you this, would you want a $500 million company headquartered in your town to relocate elsewhere and take with it 150 (or so) good-paying full-time jobs and countless part-time jobs?

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Would you expect a $500 million company to relocate to a town where taxes are high because politicians are giving sports teams whatever they want?

Are you saying a sports franchise provides 150 good-paying full-time jobs? Not even close. The players make money and so do a handful of people in the front office. In the case of a hockey franchise, that's probably about 30 high-paying jobs.

The "countless part-time jobs" are easily replaced by an amusement park.

There's a financial impact when a team departs, but there's a financial impact when a textile plant closes, too. In that case, though, you don't get front page photos of sad fans wearing team gear.

It's a disgrace that teams and leagues don't kick in more for venues that make them richer and allow them to gouge customers on ticket and concession prices.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's not just a financial argument. It's a matter of quality of life. I'm not sure Pittsburgh would really miss the Pens, though.

And as far as the jobs that could be replaced by opening an amusement park, Pittsburgh already has one.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As far as my responses to those who thought their town could steal the team away...well, I'll wait until this is official.

Draft saved Draft deleted