1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PEN/ESPN Lifetime Achievement Award announced

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Since the emphasis is on "literary sports writing," doesn't that limit the candidate pool?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

For the inaugural, it has to be a shared award for Pierce and Simmons.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Mitch Albom will win this, and I will vomit. Maybe not this year, but we all know it'll come eventually.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So...with ESPN's name on the award, what are the chances an SI writer could ever receive it?

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

PEN's legit, and will handle the nominating and the judging, so I think SI writers will get a fair shake. ESPN funds the award and gets to buy itself some cachet. PEN gets to award somebody else's money and generate a little more publicity for itself and its causes while doing so.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No question Skipper is after that cachet, and finding ways to elevate the content and/or the perception thereof. I don't see this award immediately going to an espn writer, but I also don't see it going to a direct competitor.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'd assume the first few will wind up going to non-aligned longform folks the stature of Roger Angell or John McPhee or Richard Ben Cramer or Tom Wolfe.

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Not in time for Heinz, Schulberg, Updike, Mailer. (I wish Paul Hemphill was around.) I sorta suspect that they'll opt to lean on literary rather than sports and that a great book or two will outweigh prolific output. Jane Leavy and Laura Hilledebrand would have shots down the line with that criterion. First trip will be old, old school and weighty.

Angell 3-5
    Wolfe 6-1
    Ben Cramer 7-1
    Talese 8-1
    Kahn 10-1
    McPhee 20-1
    Field 25-1

Me, I'd go with Bouton.

YHS, etc

9. AD

AD Active Member

gotta be gay talese. living talent? it's not even close.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Scoop Jackson just started fist-bumping people.

Draft saved Draft deleted