1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pelham 1 2 3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Jun 1, 2009.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I'll give it a look. Denzel is my guy for films, I have seen every film he has ever done, so I feel obligated to check this one out.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Turned out I liked it much better than I thought I would. Definitely entertaining, but they didn't even try to do anything to match the punchline of the first one.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Gesundheit.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Mega-bomb in terms of the actors involved and their salaries. Only finished in 3rd place with $25 mil. It must've cost $100 mil to make. Will check it out on DVD.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Loved the original, especially the score. My experience with Tony Scott is that everything is bigger, faster, louder. Gee, not much of that at the Cineplex these days. Updating for its own sake, or just to get scarier looking guns, is a bad reason.

Of course, I'll know more after I see this one.

BTW, Walter Matthau had a fascinating run, going from comedies to dramas to action flicks to romantic leading man roles, all while looking like a bloodhound. "Charley Varrick" was a keeper film of his, with a strong Joe Don Baker performance and another chance for Dean Wormer to play a baddie.

Regarding the first Pelham -- "One Two Three" rather than "1 2 3" -- I remember thinking that it would have been fun to see one of the subway car hostages played by Charles Bronson, as Paul Kersey, out for a New York nightime mugger/rapist hunt.

Also, Matthew Broderick's dad played the train engineer in the original.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What I remember about the original was that is did a great job of capturing the feel of riding the subway on the weekend in the big apple.

7. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

I'll definitely be watching it this weekend. Washington hardly ever disappoints.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

There's a scene in the trailer where somebody actually says "Somebody just hijacked Pelham 123." As if anyone would care enough to ID a train by its number -- any natural reaction would be "somebody just hijacked a subway train." Just seemed terribly forced to get the name of the movie out there one more time.

Thinking I'll just rent this one.

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Until now I had no idea what that line from the Beastie Boys' "Sure Shot" was all about:

"Well, it's the takin' of the Pelham One, Two, Three/If you want a doo-doo rhyme then come see me..."

No, I'd never heard of the original. No, I'm not a "film" buff. No fail on me. But I do ask once again how many original ideas make it from screenplay to silver screen anymore.

10. Of all the things audiences are asked to suspend belief for in movies, a throwaway line that probably didn't even make the final cut bothers you? Clearly an editor:)

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not to mention that anyone in New York would say, "Somebody just hijacked the 6 train." It's the train that runs from Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall and makes local stops to Pelham Bay in the Bronx. That was the train that was hijacked in the original movie -- which is a good movie that holds up surprisingly well. Matthau is fantastic, and it has a weird mishmash of character actors who were always fun to watch, including Hector Elizondo, Robert Shaw, Martin Balsam and Jerry Stiller (pre Mr. Costanza!). Not an all-time great movie, but a very, very good movie that moves the story along in a fun way and captures NY in the early 70s really well.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Just got back from it. Enjoyed it, but I'm an easy audience. Actually didn't enjoy the last 20 minutes as I was dying to take a piss but didn't know when the damn thing was going to end so didn't leave. It was certainly too over the top, but Denzel's always enjoyable.

Draft saved Draft deleted