1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pelham 1 2 3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Jun 1, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I figured many of you have seen the commercials, but I'll post the IMDb for those who haven't.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1111422/

Anywho, I'm really excited to see this movie. I've always been a huge fan of both Denzel Washington and John Travolta.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed the original version as a youngster. Was one of the movies they'd show on the Movie of the Week in the pre-HBO/cable days. Martin Balsam was one of the guys in it as I recall.

Would like to see this version stay true to the original, but I'm guessing that's probably not going to happen.

3. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Love Denzel. Also love Tony Scott movies.

Travolta is a pain in the ass..... I will be intrigued to see if he addresses the tragedy involving his son, and we'll get to hear his Scientology whackiness and possibly the conspiracy theories will resurface about what "really" happened.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It won't suck - but I'm tired of Travolta's charismatic bad guy roles.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I loved the original.. please, please, please let this not suck.

6. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Ya Travolta's like Sam Jackson - they basically play the same character in every movie.

Sure Travolta may switch it up and be a good guy/bad guy, but he's always strutting, smirking and firing off quick witty lines to make him seem cool (see "Swordfish", "Face Off", etc...).

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The Jones wrote about it in Esquire this month:

http://www.esquire.com/features/movies/taking-of-pelham-1-2-3-0609

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh, very cool. Had no idea this was a Tony Scott flick. He's never topped "Last Boy Scout," as far as I'm concerned. Nowhere near a work of art, but for sheer awesome popcorn action movies, few approach it.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Read the book in high school, I think, loved it so much I never wanted to see the movie. Still feel that way. I have to believe the book is being re-released with the movie, I think I'll find a copy and read it again. No interest in the movie.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Never mind. I always thought Tony Scott wrote Last Boy Scout. He directed it but did not write it, that was Shane Black. And I forgot Scott did True Romance, always think of that as Tarantino.

Fail x 3.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I can't help but think this is an outdated period piece; the NYC subways are not the Wild Wild West they used to be.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The original was solidly in the class of those 1970s New York crime movies that were great and now offer a nice time capsule into the city at that time.

What's amazing about it is the mayor character in it is instantly recognizable as Ed Koch to anyone watching now (in terms of looks and voice), but Koch was years away from being mayor when it was made.

I'll see the remake, but I really have my doubts it will top the first.

Draft saved Draft deleted