1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pedro Martinez: I didn't need steroids to dominate.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Feb 15, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Piss off.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, your butt is handed to you because you have failed to grasp the facts and either screwed up when trying to back up your bullshit with statistics or intentionally used his relief outings to lower his average per start.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh piss off. Nice to see your comebacks are as elementary as your logic and education.

(here comes Hondo to tell us he went to a four-year school and subscribes to many periodicals and newsletters)

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

From 1995 to 2003, was there a better pitcher than Pedro Martinez?

Hondo, you complained that Martinez looks to leave games after four or five innings. Which may or may not be true. It's up to individual interpretation. I would ask you to look at Pedro Martinez. He's 150 pounds soaking wet and was thoroughly dominant and fearless in his era.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Big Unit to the white courtesy phone ...

Randy Johnson, 1995-2003: 149-52, 2.71 ERA, 1877.2 IP, 53 CG, 23 SHO, 2541/568 K/BB, 1.085 WHIP

Pedro Martinez, 1995-2003: 145-56, 2.80 ERA, 1634 IP, 40 CG, 14 SHO, 2157/451 K/BB, 1.106 WHIP

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And just because he rarely gets his due as a dominant pitcher, keeping in mind that this doesn't even count his first three CYA seasons:

Greg Maddux, 1995-2003: 158-72, 3.10 ERA, 1839.1 IP, 41 CG, 17 SHO, 1475/300 K/BB, 1.193 WHIP

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh Christ. Here comes Bucky to remind us he loves the Braves and saw Randy Johnson throw a perfect game. :D :D :D

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fuck off. This discussion ends at 2003.

There is nothing relevant about my attendance in the left-field stands at Turner Field on May 18, 2004.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Quality work, my friend.

Hey did you hear? Pedro Martinez wasn't durable or dominant.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'd say Johan tries to get out of games more than Pedro, at least in Martinez's prime. Johan doesn't like to throw more than 100 pitches per start, hence the reason he struggled in the postseason against the Yankees. They would work the pitch count and he'd be gone in the 6th, doesn't make him any less dominant, though.
    Pedro, in his heyday, had no problems throwing 125 pitches and going as deep as possible into games.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Hondo hearts Livan Hernandez.

Draft saved Draft deleted