1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pedro Martinez: I didn't need steroids to dominate.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Feb 15, 2008.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That is my point, nobody goes that long anymore

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Once again, folks, it comes back to the fact that hondo doesn't like Pedro's attitude or jheri curl or midget friends (or whatever), and thus in his eyes, Pedro did not dominate.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

6.7897 IP/GS, actually.

That said, he's about to turn 31 and has only made 21+ starts four times in 10 seasons.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Thank you, I knew someone would do the research.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The point is hondo got his butt handed to him and now he wants to qualify his argument to include only the last few years.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If this link isn't wrong, there were 40 pitchers who combined to throw 81 complete games last season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching?split=0&league=mlb&season=2007&seasonType=2&sort=completeGames&type=pitch2&ageMin=17&ageMax=51&state=0&college=0&country=0&hand=a&pos=all

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And I would say that that is not even close.

8. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I think it's fair to say Johan Santana has been among the top 2-3 pitchers, if not the best, over the last four seasons. In the last four seasons, he has averaged 6.811194 innings per start. He has six complete games in 134 starts.

Over the same exact time period - during which time his skills have begun to slide -Pedro has averaged 6.456521 innings per start. He has five complete games in 92 starts.

To look at another ace, Josh Beckett, for his career, averages 6.1 innings per start. He has four complete games in 166 career starts.

To me, Pedro still compares well despite being on the down slope of his career, let alone when he was in his prime.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And I would say again that is my Fucking point!

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hondo: I don't need facts to make stupid, illogical arguments.

nice to see your stupidity isn't limited to politics. Maybe you'd like Pedro more if he looked at you in a press conference, or if he was white.

I'd say we'd all be better off if you just went to johnbirchsociety.org, but your unrelenting idiocy provides us sustenance. Thanks hondo!

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Why am I such a terrible human being because Pedro Martinez was never my favorite pitcher?

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So because I don't like one pitcher, "my butt is handed to me?"
    Bleep off.

Draft saved Draft deleted