1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pedro Martinez: I didn't need steroids to dominate.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I hate Pedro Martinez, with a passion, though surprisingly less than Schilling. That said, he was always that guy in the late '90s, that when he pitched you watched just to see if he might strike out 20. Him and Randy Johnson were fun to watch. And to a degree Clemens as well, though he wasn't as dominant during that time span.

2. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

During the years in which he actually was a starter, Pedro has averaged 6.7 innings per start. This includes his last two seasons with the Mets, in which he has averaged 5.7 innings per start. I don't think anyone in their right mind would say he has been dominant over the last couple seasons.

However, to call Pedro anything but dominant over the bulk of his career is ignorance.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Pretty poor math there, Hondo.

Pedro Martinez has made 380 starts in his career. He pitched 2566.1 IP in those 380 starts (excluding the 107.1 IP in 67 relief appearances for a total of 2673.2 IP in 447 career games)

IP/GS = avg. IP per start
    2566.333333/380 = 6.75350877.

5.9 is a little off.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And Buck takes his number out to eight decimal places . . . impressive. :D

I'm an admitted Pedro fangirl, so I've got nothing to add.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Just for a quick comparison, Jim Palmer (with 211 CGs to his credit) didn't average "8 or 9 IP" a start, either -- actually, it was 7.4 IP.

And, yes, that's discounting his 37 relief appearances (for 90 IP.)

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

My bad. I included the games in which he was a relief pitcher in the mix. But that still doesn't mean I'd like to have him on my team in the last 5-6 years. He spends half his time peeking into the bench looking for the manager to call the bullpen after the fourth inning.
    I like 9-inning guys. Sue me.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Gee, how many starters are routinely going nine innings these days?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Fair enough I'm sure every team would like a 9 inning guy. Please could you name one just one. Roy Halladay off the top of my mind is considered a work horse. I highly doubt he averages 8 innings per start

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'll never forget the 9-inning no-hitter in SD, where the Expos couldn't score either.... Or the time, with a perfecto, he plunked Reggie Sanders in the 7th inning... and the arrogant asshole charged the mound.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

First of all, he's not talking about the last several years. He's saying he dominated in his prime. That's pretty much inarguable. Secondly, who are these 9-inning guys of whom you speak?

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Kofaux...Gibson...They've been dominant since being called up in 2000.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

not even close

Draft saved Draft deleted