1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pedro Martinez: I didn't need steroids to dominate.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

When he was in his slinging prime, you actually enjoyed watching him dominate your team.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

For my money, the greatest clutch pitching performance was Pedro coming out of the bullpen and no-hitting the Indians in the 1999 ALDS. I'm not a Red Sox fan or an Indians hater; I was just blown away watching Pedro sling unhittable fastball after unhittable fastball.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Agreed. I have little interest in baseball, but I loved watching him pitch.

4. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

As much as I despise Pedro for some of his antics and his former team, I cannot deny this: he is probably one of the greatest pitchers ever. Even more so now since he dominated during such an offense-oriented era without (hopefully) using PEDs. He's the first pitcher that ever made me think/say "Damn, well this game is a loss" as soon as I read his name on the pitching line.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Average career length of start: 5.9 innings (IP divided by games). He may have relieved one or two but that doesn't change this stat dramatically. Throwing out the last two years (injuries) and he's averaged less than 200 IP per year since going to Boston.

Sorry. I like my pitchers to get me to the 8th or 9th. You Boston and Mets fanboys can just calm down.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Nitwit, starters aren't going eight or nine innings anymore.

And as for your formula, I'm sure you took into account the half seasons he pitched with the Red Sox and Mets while coming off of surgery.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

A friend PM'd me and told me to post the following stat, which blows Hondo's mathematical masturbation out of the fucking water.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Are you this much of an idiot, please show me one starter that on average goes 8 or 9 innings. Did you not read the post half way up the page detailing his complete games through the years he dominated. You obviously don't watch much baseball if your spewing this crap and I'm far from a Mets fanboy. In a juiced up era he dominated hitters.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

JC, yes, he's that much of a tool.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

hondo,

This is one where the numbers lie. Yes, Martinez is now broken down by his standards, but it's not fanboyishness to claim he was dominant. In 2000, for example, he won the ERA title by 1.96 points over Roger Clemens. That is the largest margin of victory in MLB history (or, I should say it was until that point, I haven't covered baseball in a few years).

It says a lot about Martinez that even though he really didn't have great innings pitched, starts or batters faced totals, he remained among the best in strikeouts, wins, and complete games. Three times in his career (1996, 2003 and 2005), he didn't finish in the top ten in innings pitched, yet still was there in complete games. Six times, he made the top 10 in strikeouts without being there in innings pitched, including 2002, when he led the AL in strikeouts.

He may not be durable, but there is no doubting his dominance.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow, it's one thing to make an offhand comment that shows you don't know what you are talking about. It is another to actually try to argue it once you have had your ass thoroughly kicked.

Martinez has been over 200 IP seven times in his career. Also threw 199 1/3 in 2002 and 194 2/3 in 1995.

Your bulllshit stat also takes advantage of the 63 relief appearances in 1993, doesn't it? Are you counting those in the average innings per start.

Oh, one more thing. I'm not a Mets or Red Sox fan. Just somebody who understands how great Martinez has been and how clueless you are.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Guys all this comes down to is the fact that hondo doesn't like Pedro. As we've seen countless times on the board, if hondo doesn't like an athlete personally, he sucks. No amount of statistical analysis will convince him otherwise. It's shouting into the wind. He can't hear you, and he's not even trying to listen.

Draft saved Draft deleted