1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearlman: Zito becoming a douche

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Clever username, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

I like Barry a lot, but he has changed.

I don't think it's to the degree Jeff's claiming here -- or maybe if he knows you from "before" he's less guarded, I dunno -- but he's not who he was seven years ago.

An aside: I do think it's weak to write a story like this without actually talking to the guy.

But, hiring Boras was definitely a signal of things. He meant business now. (Although I think that move was also a bit of desperation on Barry's part, in that he wanted a fingerhold on any baseball edge he could find, and Boras does give his clients a lot of help, mostly trendspotting and statistical analysis.)

And Barry's publicist, while nice enough, is probably the least competent I've dealt with in my career.

That being said, once you get through the folks he's surrounded himself with, he's still one of the most engaging athletes I know. Is he the same kid he was, spouting all sorts of stuff, talking about the time he showed his parents a Dalmatian fucking a chick? No, he ain't. But he's still good. Still open, still thoughtful, still intelligent... He's still solid as a subject. I mean, last time around, we hung around in his house. Not many athletes invite you over... I always ask to see a guy's house; it hardly ever happens.

And I would still rather cover Barry day-to-day than just about anybody.

The larger point here, I think, is that he's grown up. His changing is a function of maturity, if anything. Seven years -- in your 20s -- is an epoch. Think how much you changed from 22 to 29, and not just your back foresting over. That's really when people become adults these days... And that's all this is, really. Barry's an adult now. He's more serious; he's more worried; he's more literal. That's what age does to all of us.

Asking Barry to remain a kid forever -- given the business he's in -- is asking a lot.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Very well said.
    My kid showed me the Paris Hilton video but never a dalmatian. I need to speak to the lad.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is nothing new for Pearlman. The Wells story in SI was a disgrace. Wells wouldn't talk to him so Pearlman spends the first four or five paragraphs childishly rambling on about how fat Wells is. And yes, I know he was writing about things other than weight there as well, but really it struck me as him wanting to take a shot at the guy who refused to talk to him.

4. poin --
    That's as good as it gets, bro.
    Up the republic, old son!

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like Jeff, but I completely agree about the Wells story... Pearlman is a very good writer who unfortunately has been defined by two stories -- Rocker and Wells... That's definitely not fair to him or a good thing...

Draft saved Draft deleted