1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearlman tracks down one of his agitators, calls him up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Three thoughts / observations:

1. Pearlman is way too thin skinned for his own good.

2. The obscene image he was sent was probably Goatse (just a guess)

3. The use of the word "retard" is also a pet peeve of mine.

2. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Anyone using the word retard these days is making a much, much larger statement about themselves than who they're aiming the word at.

3. To me that's almost bullying .. Almost. It's certainly stooping to their level and as pros I think we should be better than that.
    You are an established national writer with a platform and a large following. (hypothetically) I'm a blogger in his mid-20s, living with mom and a hardcore (insert team here) fan.
    Compared to you and Pearlman in the world of sports writing and opinion I'm a nobody. Sure I may lob nasty tweets and smartass messageboard posts and comments about you and your work but that's in an attempt to be noticed and engage you.
    You're stooping to their level and encouraging the behavior.
    "Wow Doyel acknowledged WVAsshat because he speculated about Doyel's strange sexual attraction to Urban Myer's border collie ... I'll come up with something even better."

I've been in this biz for more than a dozen years and people still get under my skin. If they're rational I'll try to listen to them and explain my side. If the best they can do is call me retarded ... moving on.

I have tried to discuss topics with readers on our forum board and found it to be an exercise in futility.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I ripped you on a message board.
    You, in turn, ripped me on a radio show.
    And we don't hate each other.
    The world is a strange, strange place.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Tracking down anonymous commenters? Writing about it? Easily the biggest waste of time and his employer's money. No one cares how the sausage (or comments) are made. Do your job and grow a pair.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

A propos of not much on this thread, but...

The worst of the worst of this country is displayed in the comments section of American newspapers, particularly here in California. Every single solitary story, regardless of topic, will be trailed behind by at least 3 people blaming illegal immigrants. Makes you wonder who exactly are news consumers these days, and why are advertisers spending any money trying to attract these dregs?

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I can't speak for Gregg, but I wouldn't want to fight you. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted