1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearlman tracks down one of his agitators, calls him up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 21, 2011.

1. One of the guys Pearlman called up responds.

So, it isn't anonymity.

2. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Say what you want about Pearlman, Alyssa Milano isn't tweeting about any of the rest of us...
    http://twitter.com/Alyssa_Milano/status/29266364023709696

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Alyssa Milano.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Consider the source and act accordingly.

I'll send off a brief explanation to most e-mails I receive, but some anonymous lunatic screaming in my phone I could care less about.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

BYH has a knock on his door and it's Jay Cutler...

If I'm HR, I am really not crazy about writers tracking down readers and calling them on the phone or showing up at their homes.

You want to do that in an email or responding via Twitter or Facebook, that is fine. But if one if these people said the writer used a racial slur against him on the phone, then it becomes your word against theirs and the writer was the one who took the time to track them down.

And showing up at their house uninvited? So much can go wrong. So much.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

You do not know this to be true. Who's to say she's not tweeting about some of us?

7. DennisReynolds

DennisReynolds New Member

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

10. DietCoke

DietCoke Member

The line that says it all about where this business is today:

Sometimes, when you're just starting out, in order to get noticed, you have to be controversial.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The use of the word "retard" is a hot button for me. Nothing personal in my family, I just see the faces of parents with mentally disabled children when that word is thrown around. I think it says less of someone (Rahm Emanuel included) that they would throw it around so casually.

His "Howard Beale-esque opinions ..." I don't think he knows what that movie is about, because the problem was not that Howard Beale had an opinion but that the network kept making him deliver opinions with equal force. So in my view he is basically saying nothing he writes is genuine. See Diet Coke's post above for further examples.

Returning as a tangent to my original point ... Being juvenile and hitting the low hanging fruit of calling someone a retard isn't necessarily the best way of doing it but yet again, I never expected this to play out like it did. Translation: I didn't expect anyone to hold me to anything I said! That's mean!

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Prediction: Pearlman's decision to track down this guy -- and subsequent events -- turn Andrew Tworischuk into a star. Or, at least gets him a job.

Draft saved Draft deleted