1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearlman tracks down one of his agitators, calls him up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Re: So you want to work in SJ?

Sure, he has a right to it. But we're people who actually pay attention to the byline and want to know the person behind it, and most people don't. I'm guessing a lot of people find him through individual links.

He's an extreme reaction purveyor who happens to be sincere. But upon first (or third) glance, there's not a lot separating him from your standard high-horse Mariotti-type who merely pretends to be affronted. Extreme reactions get an equally forceful pushback, and I'm surprised he hasn't been conditioned to it.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Re: So you want to work in SJ?

I see what you're saying, and that makes a ton of sense.

I guess I can empathize with him. When I was doing column work at one point in my career, every time I was the least bit critical - and I like to think I was sincere, like Jeff is - the onslaught of "Marriotti Jr.!" emails and comments would be unleashed. Or it would be the other criticism, its first cousin: "If you hate State U basketball so much, you should just do something else!"

So you are getting two criticisms that really sting: (1) That you are just writing to get a rise out of people, not because you believe in what you're saying; (2) That your work is agenda-driven.

But, yeah, you have to realize that's part of the deal. But I can see why it's hurtful. Because, really, people are questioning your character, while you know in your heart you are just trying to be honest. And it can drive you a little crazy wanting people to just argue your points on the merits instead of making it about you.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

So Pearlman acts like ass, as usual, and we have two threads on him.
    He has achieved one of his aims, get people to talk about Jeff Pearlman.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Pretty much nails it. spnited you better hope that pearls does not know where you live.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Jay and Silent Bob approve:

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

So why is it when TJ Simers does this, more than once a year or once in a career, it is labeled as poor journalism? Lazy journalism? They're good reads, showing people behaving badly, and cheap laughs. I find these types of stories and columns very entertaining.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

As I posted on the other Pearlman thread:

Pearlman acts like as ass, as usual, and we have two threads on him.
    He has achieved one of his aims -- get people to talk about Jeff Pearlman.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

rpm,

I generally hate that kind of stuff, but I think Simers is great. I can't explain it, but he's the one guy who I think can pull it off

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Well done.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

What percent of people in this business actually aim for that?
    I have always liked it better flying under the radar, not being talked about.
    Or is getting talked about the only way to achieve job security or marketability for a lot of folks today?
    It doesn't seem to have much in common -- making oneself the story -- with what this business used to be about?
    (Uh oh, is the operative phrase "used to be"?)

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

It's to the point now where if anyone calls in with a comment/concern and keeps a civil tone, I'm shocked. We have one local idiot here who is fond of the 4 a.m. voice mail. He'll make the rounds every now and then, blathering on. I know my voice mail has a 2 minute time limit because of him.

Anyway, he got vulgar and threatening enough that management, which had been gathering material for a while, took the matter up with the police. Good times.

Draft saved Draft deleted