1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearlman Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dirtybird, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's accurate. The David Wells story didn't help matters either.

Fair on unfair, Pearlman is viewed as that guy.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I think Pearlman said, either here or on his blog, that SI picked out the excerpt. If you read the book, that stuff isn't one chapter, so the effect is a little less jarring.

3. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Love the "3,000-circ daily Midwestern newspaper reviews ("Pearlman's problem is he doesn't write good.")" line

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's funny if you live on either Coast or work at a big publication.

It makes him like like an arrogant dickhead to everyone else.

5. Mizzougrad96

No one is ever going to accuse Pearlman of being thick-skinned...

What SI did is the best thing that ever happened to his book. Without that excerpt, I'm guessing that book doesn't sniff the bestseller list. I'm guessing now it will and that's pretty rare for a sports book these days.

6. Mizzougrad96

Agree completely.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I question the marketing wisdom of the author of a book on a beloved Midwestern sports hero dissing the Midwest for any reason.

8. Mizzougrad96

I don't think he was "out to get" Walter Payton, but Pearlman should be smart enough to know that a book that says Payton was suicidal and used drugs isn't going to be welcomed with open arms by people in Chicago.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to pile on, but this is ridiculous.

http://blogs.wSportsJournalists.com/dailyfix/2011/10/07/the-blitz-after-the-biography/?mod=WSJBlog&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wsj%2Fdailyfix%2Ffeed+%28WSportsJournalists.com%3A+The+Daily+Fix%29

10. Mizzougrad96

My, God I hate all this attention... Please read about it in my 18 blog entries about how much I hate all this attention...

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I have some experience with Pearlman. He's the type of guy to go for the bomb on second-and-1, third-and-1 and fourth-and-1. He's poked fun at southerners before, so joking about midwesterners isn't that much a surprise. But I also know he's nothing if not earnest, and honest to himself and to the work, and hopeful that you'll like it. He's definitely not the type to write something with the hope that it won't be appreciated until the next century.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He's selling books. If Deadspin or the WSJ give you a platform from which to write about how upsetting the response to your new book is, you take it.

Draft saved Draft deleted