1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearlman Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dirtybird, Oct 7, 2011.

1. dirtybird

dirtybird Active Member

I hope this isn't a double post. It delighted me.

http://deadspin.com/5847016/just-read-the-damn-book-welcome-to-the-sweetness-bash

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He lost me by trashing TMZ. :D

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He manages to come off both justifiably angry and whiny.

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

That was an extremely well done response and shows the ridiculousness of some Bears people.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm missing the whiny. His points: 1) All these people vilifying me, and they haven't even read the thing. 2) Some of these people who haven't read the book, are writing things that aren't true.

He's annoyed. So the question is, should he respond?

And I'm thinking, why not? How many more people are likely to buy it because of Deadspin/the controversy. For that alone, he kills two birds with one stone. He makes his point (and I believe he is genuinely annoyed by those people), and he drums up some "any publicity is good publicity" for the book.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For someone trying to sell books in Chicago, he sure didn't wait long into that piece to insult Midwesterners, did he?

7. Illino

Illino Member

I wonder who picked the excerpt material. Pearlman or SI?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's unfair but Pearlman made his bed with Rocker story.
    Anything he has done since has been viewed with great suspicion.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Dumb question: Why didn't the media get the book a few weeks before it came out?

Isn't that kind of standard practice? I lost track of the number of books that were sent to me, most about a month before they came out. If I felt the need (which was rare...) or my editor made me (less rare) I made mention of the book in a notebook or such and my five readers could decide if they wanted to make a purchase.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Usually the place that purchases the right to run the excerpt can choose what it wants to run. Sometimes there are rules like "They can run anything other than these 10 pages..." or at least that's what I've seen based on my limited experiences dealing with this kind of stuff...

11. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

By whom?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Tea Party

Draft saved Draft deleted