1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pearlman on sports writing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by melbatoast, May 20, 2008.

1. melbatoast

melbatoast New Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=pearlman/080519

I'm not a huge fan, and this is pretty self-indulgent. But it also made me laugh several times.

2. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

pretty good.

i'm not bitter by experience on the job. i'm bitter because i work for a crumbling mound of shit newspaper and my wife doubles my salary.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good read. I oughta do a list like that of my own sometime.

But how can Pearlman not have a John Rocker entry? Would that be a plus or minus for him?

4. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

I was about to say. ... didn't he forget something? I recall the poor guy getting hounded by reporters (with TV cameras rolling) in the press box while he was trying to do his own work.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

"wondering why I have to dig out $8 from my own pocket for the Shea Stadium press box buffet. (OK, ESPN reimburses me. But, damn it, that's not the point.)"

And that's where I stopped reading.

6. And that's why I won't start reading. Thanks for the heads-up.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

If your sugar-mama wife has a sister, tell her I said hi.

8. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

she does have a sister. but she ain't dumb enough to date a sportswriter ...

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Your Mets book was a bore, Jeff.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

'November 7, 1996 -- Following a week of angry calls to the sports department, my editor sends me to cover Lipscomb's next game. As I stand along the sideline near the end of the fourth quarter, Kirkau -- surrounded by a dozen teammates -- swaggers up to me and says, "Don't you ever show your face around here again!" The next day, I am scheduled to leave Nashville and accept a job as a fact checker at Sports Illustrated."

Interesting. Receiving a threat from a high school player - that's big time.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

touche

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I've got to think Rocker was "plus a few points" toward his career total ...

Draft saved Draft deleted