1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearlman on Rocker story, 10 years later

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I didn't even know they were still in business. I remember reading that Guccione went broke, and I assumed they folded.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Can you be more specific?

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I found it interesting, which really should be the only barometer of why something should or should not be published in f'n Penthouse.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

It blows my mind that Pearlman got any sort of heat for that story 10 years ago.

One person screwed up royally in that situation, and it sure as shit wasn't Pearlman. I know Major Leaguers have each other's backs, but how can you defend that?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't remember if this story was before Pearlman's piece on David Wells where someone else did all the reporting and Pearlman wrote a story ripping the shit out of Wells.

I remember that hurting Pearlman's rep almost as much as the Rocker story.

6. silentbob

silentbob Member

One thing I've always wondering about the original story: When Rocker was going on his rant(s), what was Pearlman doing? Was he laughing? Going along with it? Encouraging Rocker? If that's the case, I think it changes things somewhat.

As for the the 10-year story, I liked it -- with one exception. Calling Rocker a dumbass and a racist was inappropriate. Rocker's words speak for themselves. No need for Pearlman to act all high and mighty and point it out for us. To me, it sounded like he unloaded just because Rocker didn't respond to his email, which is petty.

7. I don't know.
    I think it is universally acccepted that Rocker is a dumbass and a racist.

8. I liked the piece overall.
    I could have done without the lede, actually ... the whole pining for Rocker to e-mail him back. I don't believe it's sincere, so it rings hollow and almost gimmicky.

But the meat of the piece is very interesting stuff. Good work.

9. silentbob

silentbob Member

Ten years ago maybe it was. A lot of time has passed.

But if it is universally accepted ... Pearlman certainly didnt need to point it out.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember right after the article came out, we were talking in our newsroom about whether it's news every time an athlete makes a sexist, racist or homophobic comment. I covered a beloved HOF athlete who called everyone "a fag" nobody ever wrote it, nobody ever thought to write it.

I remember having a big problem at the time because Rocker was getting destroyed and meanwhile some Diamondbacks reliever was arrested for putting a gun in his wife's mouth. That story was practically ignored, while Rocker was in the news for months.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Pearlman wasn't responsible for the public reaction to Rocker's statements. He's just the messenger.

A lot of people forgot that.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Wells piece was after the Rocker one. I don't remember hearing that somebody else did the reporting. I do remember that Wells refused to speak to Pearlman. Then Pearlman went on to use the word "fat" about 30 times in his lede. He was pissed off at Wells and it showed in the story, which I thought was pretty unprofessional.

The thing that struck me as odd in the Rocker story was how deeply buried in it the racist stuff was. It was obviously the most interesting part of the piece, but it was about 2/3 of the way through, if I remember correctly.

Draft saved Draft deleted