1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearlman on Rocker story, 10 years later

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But Jeff just reported his information. More than a few editors went through the story. The bosses knew what was up.

If Jeff's career was ruined, too, Boom, shouldn't SI have been held accountable as well?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If the facts were true and not "off the record" then Jeff did the right thing.

Unfortunately though for Jeff doing the right thing clearly derailed his career as SI national baseball writer.

It's a cautionary tail and perhaps an indication of why SI writers like Peter King and Tom Verducci go softer on those they cover.

SI should be accountable to its readers.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A guy with two best-sellers, and he ruined his career with this piece.

Right.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"career as national baseball writer" Pearlman sure sounds like a guy who is not happy with the path that life has taken him.

Perhaps he'll sign on and tell us.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

He sounds like a guy who was pretty miserable in the immediate days and months after the Rocker story hit. He sounds like he's OK with his lot in life now.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd think that Rocker's throwing a few too many mediocre fastballs ruined his career more than what he said.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yes, I'm sure that a magazine that features gigantic breasts and gaping vaginas is concerned that its sales will be ruined by an online post of an article about an article about a forgotten baseball player.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Good read, though I tripped over this:
    I know Jeff's going for something akin to sarcasm, here, but that's just weird. Would've lost that last sentence.

9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Yeah. That fell a little flat. I know he was taking one final dig at Rocker... but it went over like a cold-air balloon.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is onyl one way to describe Pearlman"s latest:
    A self-serving piece of crap.

11. So you don't subscribe for the articles?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You think about that article, like the Inside Sports article on the Garveys, Reilly's profile of Marge Schott and others - it is a tremendous gift to get that kind of access to people and to get them to open up around you -
    It can also be a curse.

Draft saved Draft deleted