1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearlman on Lupica with a sportsjournalists.com reference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Writer33, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Writer33

Writer33 Member

I searched but couldn't find this anywhere. Hope it hasn't already been posted.

http://jeffpearlman.com/?p=1877

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Can't say as though I've ever written this lede:

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Two questions:
    When is the last time anyone here bashed Lpica? It seems we've just ignored him for the past year or so.
    Is this what you call the pot calling the kettle black? I mean, Pearlman calling out anyone for arrogance is fucking hysterical to me.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, I guess from my cheap seats, arrogant or not, Pearlman isn't MEAN to people in the same way Lupica is.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

True, not the mean arrogance of Loopy.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Lupica always struck me as someone like a successful comic actor who wants to be taken seriously so they do a movie about cancer or the Holocaust and it bombs and they realize they'll be stuck doing fart jokes and pratfalls for the rest of their career.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In the early days of SJ Luppy was low hanging fruit day in and day out. I think everyone got to the point of not wanting to repeat the sames stuff -- much like Luppy repeats his columns.

I also think that since Lisa Olsen left no one bothers to read the Daily News Sports section.

You have to give Pearlman credit, when he was criticized at SJ he came took on the offending poster

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Lupica is supposedly close to Bob Costas. I can recall being in the Shea press room one day when it was very crowded and Lupica was loudly talking to somone about Costas' "obsession to cross over from sports." If the guy is your friend, should you really spend 10 minutes ripping him in front of people you don't know?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pearlman's BLOG! has been good lately. He's struggling as a freelancer with a family, not unlike many folks around here, and shares some of the travails.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Agreed. Some good stuff in it.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Does it seem a little excessive to bash a guy on someone else's blog, and then brag about the bashing on your own blog? In case anyone doesn't follow Blogs With Balls and might have missed the event?

Maybe I missed the context of the bash, but it seemed a little random and vague. I like a bashing based on something specific, something undeniably heinous and creepy. Something we can all assess for ourselves, and then tsk in agreement.

But I don't know the protocol of bragging about a bashing, seems a little tacky.

Draft saved Draft deleted