1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearlman leaves ESPN for SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I saw this on www.thebiglead.com

I've always liked Jeff's stuff. Big loss for the WWL.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

You smell smoke, well that's the bridge Pearlman just burned. At least he can say it like it is.

http://jeffpearlman.com/?p=970

3. Mizzougrad96

ESPN has been hiring way too many people lately. It's going to catch up to them at some point, if it hasn't already.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He's spot on.

Burnt bridges are overrated.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Didn't see this posted anywhere, but I believe Jeff MacGregor has gone to espnmag full time.

6. Apparently he didn't burn any bridges at SI on the way out.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Pearlman's going to SI.com, not SI. That's a significant distinction in many ways, including salary, I would imagine.

8. jeff.pearlman

jeff.pearlman Member

Not trying to be a goober, but I meant no offense; wasn't my intent to call anyone out. I loved writing for ESPN—editors were cool, exposure was great. Zero complaints. But media companies are cutting back these days—ESPN.com (I assumed) included. So I saw the writing on the wall ... knew—as a non-contract writer—I wouldn't be getting regular work. Anyhow, I've always considered myself a Sports Illustrated guy first and foremost ... blah, blah, blah.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I hope it's not just the .com, the magazine needs the boost.

10. I'm ecstatic for Jeff.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The magazine has always had great writers. Unfortunately, they get buried under 70 pages of bullshit and inane graphics.

12. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, that magazine is filled with incredible journalism that nobody reads. The writers there all know it and they're really fucking pissed about it too.

Draft saved Draft deleted