1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearlman does preps

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Sep 5, 2015.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

In this case, not sure so much basic information is out there. The guy who did the stats said he wasn't going to share them. Does he post them on the school or league web site? If not it seems little information is out there and in any hs game the top 3-4 players at least from the winning team should be mentioned with stats. If it's a competitive game usually 2-3 from the losing team should be mentioned with stats.

2. jeff.pearlman

jeff.pearlman Member

I just wanna say, I really enjoyed and appreciated this conversation. I think there are different ways to see this one—how to approach a high school gamer, etc. But it's a good debate.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I've joked on here about how after covering hundreds of prep football games, now my kid's on the field and I'm in the parent section on Friday nights. No, I'm not really looking for sportswriters to get my son a scholarship ... but the truth is, it does change what I want to see in my colleagues' "gamers."

There's a reason we are told to mention names, names names and get every last kid who touched the ball into the box score. When you can't be there, and you know most of the kids on the team, you really do want to scour over the box score and gamer for details. Because, believe it or not, high school boys aren't too forthcoming about details when you call them after the game (especially after a loss — now I see where that trend starts for high school coaches).

So I appreciate the feature-y angle Jeff took, but in most small-town papers, that would run as a column or second-day feature, in addition to a nuts-and-bolts gamer.

SnarkShark and cjericho like this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, come on. Don't go there. You've accomplished too much to flip this card. You put your work out there, you reap the benefits, and you deal with the criticism that comes with it, as well. This isn't a measuring contest. Did John Rocker ask to see your fastball? Should Brian Cushing demand to see your own home movies?

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I liked the story more than most people around here; I thought it gave a pretty good description of the funkiness of the program.

I was left wondering one thing: How the hell did the PA announcer get away with criticising the refs? What did he do?

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he did it while the mic wasn't on.

7. jeff.pearlman

jeff.pearlman Member

You're right, Dick.

8. SnarkShark

Jeff, you have no idea how great this makes him feel. He usually has to say it to himself.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I definitely agree with Snark on that point. But as you said, you really need to put yourself out there and try new things. I don't think this one worked, but they don't always. I also don't think this is really the best place to be experimenting. Difference here is you didn't have time for an editor to kick it back and say "this just doesn't quite work." Preps are a funny thing, because it's more about the names and the outcome. You can do great features, but the game stories need to stay pretty basic. Usually for space purposes and to give the reader what they want to know.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Except it was the right comment, Jeff made the right response and neither should take heat for it.

11. SnarkShark

It was a joke. Lighten up.

JackReacher likes this.
  12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And it was perfect!

Draft saved Draft deleted