1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearlman does preps

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Sep 5, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Louisiana threesome was definitely football-related.

--I don't mean this as necessarily an indictment of the story, because Pearlman obviously has a rep and the background to try something different ... but if this exact story had come in from a college kid, it would have been spiked immediately and been the subject of humor for years on the sports desk.

SnarkShark, Mr. Sunshine and Batman like this.
  2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Seriously? This story was not great, but it's to be expected from a writer like Pearlman. And I've piled on Reilly plenty around these parts, but there was a time when he was one of the best there was.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pearlman's an interesting dude. He's got a book due in 4 months and yet he spends all of this valuable time covering forgettable high school football in SoCal or blogging 9 hours a day or doing his Quaz 14 hours a week.

With 4 months to go you'd think he'd focus his energy on the book.

Unless he sleeps 2 hours a night and writes the other 22 hours, including material for the book.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This was my feeling as well. It read to me as being from somebody who, perhaps, hasn't covered preps in a while. Like he was surprised or had his eyes opened about it, or something.

5. busch

busch Member

6. Songbird

Such anger, busch!

Jeff wrote about the experience: Returning to my roots | Jeff Pearlman

Was it the best thing I’ve ever written? Definitely not.

But I was giddy and energized; I’d forgotten the deadline thrill of a high school football gamer, and when I woke up this morning I tracked down a copy of the Register and flipped open to my piece.

Yeah, it’s probably the 10,000th byline of my career.

But it felt like the very first time.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

writing on a tight deadline is a thrill.

Start at nothing and 20 minutes later have 50o words that actually appear to be in English.

8. Songbird

This one goes out to our sportswriter buddy Jeff Pearlman of Southern California after experiencing the thrill of the first time again after all these years.

9. SBR

SBR Member

Of course he wrote about it. He sounds like Gwyneth Paltrow talking about poverty tourism.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Now we know why he didn't have any statistics in his story.
    Rookie move, relying on the school to give him stats.

Tweener likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hopefully he learned his lesson. If he did, the kid might have a future in this business.

12. Padre

Padre Member

no kidding — always find out before the game if stat guy will share

Draft saved Draft deleted