1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearl Jam Twenty on PBS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Huggy, Oct 21, 2011.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Vastly. Greatly benefited by being the last ones standing out of their more talented peers in the Seattle scene. Also, some of their live covers are unforgivable sins against rock 'n' roll.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

This post is laughable.

3. NoOneLikesUs

Yup. I have no idea why there's a huge space at the bottom. For that I apologize.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Give me a list of said covers. And I think you're exaggerating a bit, considering Nelson, Jefferson Starship and Styx is also considered rock and roll.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Vedder's cover of Jackson Browne's "I'm a Patriot" is just incredible.

One of the last times I saw then he sang a couple songs from Blood on the Tracks. Just awesome stuff. Mostly it was Neil Young and the Who, but I don't know if I've ever seen a band that was better at doing a really wide array of covers.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Great version of Trouble by Cat Stevens done by EV.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

And then there's this gem ...

On a side note: smoking in the clubhouse? Beckett, Lester and Lackey would be shocked!

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I would rather listen to Vedder's Into the Wild soundtrack than anything PJ's done since the mid-'90s.

9. NoOneLikesUs

Dead Boys' Sonic Reducer. Vedder butchers the lyrics constantly from the clips I've seen. They've got like 18 guitars on stage, yet not one has any tone with balls. Sorta personal for me since that's one of my favorite songs.

Avengers' American in Me. Another favorite song. Another skull-fucking of the highest order. Vocal delivery of Penelope Houston was direct and full of anger. Vedder is all over the place and they have used keyboards on this song at times. Evidence:

Public Image Ltd.'s Public Image.
    The bass is all right. The rest...holy shit dude. Doesn't get it at all.

Here's one I like:
    They let Ace do his thing and Eddie doesn't get involved. Except to call him "FREELY" at the end. Christ, he can't even get that right. It's FRAY LEE.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yikes ... did the Dead Boys know anything about pitch, tone or harmony? I guess they were too punk for that. :)

11. NoOneLikesUs

Um..yeah...they played in the punk era, so automatically the label of "Can't Play" gets slapped on there. Whew..you got me there.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't sing the praises of most of their more recent stuff, not because I don't like it, just because I haven't listened to much of it. I do have the Into the Wild soundtrack and it's pretty great...

Draft saved Draft deleted