1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearl Jam Twenty on PBS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Huggy, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

For those who haven't seen the movie - like me - it will premiere on PBS tonight on American Masters.

Check your local listings for the time in your area!

http://www.theuncool.com/2011/10/21/pearl-jam-twenty-pbs-american-masters-tonight/

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't believe it's been 20 years...

I saw Pearl Jam for the first time on Dec. 31, 1991 when they opened for Nirvana and the Chili Peppers at the Cow Palace in San Fran. I had never heard of them at the time and they were amazing.

It's probably close between PJ and Metallica as to the band I've seen the most times live.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Saw the movie on opening night on Sept. 20. I'm a nutty Pearl Jam fan, and it lived up to the billing.

4. Mizzougrad96

Cameron Crowe and Pearl Jam... There was no way this was going to be anything short of amazing...

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Here is the trailer:

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I've been wanting to see this, but haven't been able to find it anywhere.

PJ is my favorite band of all-time. Back in 1994, I was a bit more of a Nirvana fan, but 20 years of music from PJ has pushed them ahead. What a great, great band. Can't believe I've still never seen them in concert.

7. Mizzougrad96

I saw Pearl Jam once and some band called "The Frogs" were opening. After their set, one of the roadies brought out something wrapped in a carpet and set it on the stage.

At this point the theater was about half full. Then the roadie started unwrapping the thing on the stage...

It was Vedder. He then sang Baba O'Riley a capella. I think if you listed every song I've ever heard performed live, that would have been the best by far. I get chills even thinking about it 16 years later...

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I've seen them 15 times ... and actually, this will mark the first year since 2004 I haven't seen them at least once. Bummer.

I know this conversation has been on this board before, but while most people gave up on the band after Ten or Vs. or Vitalogy, some of their best music has come from their last two albums. And every album (even Riot Act) has at least 2-3 really strong, strong songs. Much better than the crap that is passing for music today (yes, I'm an old curmudgeon).

9. Mizzougrad96

I would bet I've seen them about 18 times or so. Some of those were festivals or them as opening acts. I haven't seen them since 2003.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Overrated.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I thought this was the Radiohead thread.

What about Coldplay? Do they make the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not a high enough VORP (Value Over Replacement Pussies).

Draft saved Draft deleted