1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearl Jam fans?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Ah, the "you" threw me off.

As for Arcade Fire, I can't say I know much about them. I've youtubed a few songs and didn't see what the fuss is about, but that's obviously not the best venue for listening to a song for the first time.

2. most laudable live achievement for the band: playing around 90 different songs over three days in boston in 03 and only repeating one song: YL (i believe).

3. i'm not the only one touting the AF's praises. Being a hardcore PJ fan and AF fan is natural: both are the best live acts around and blow your mind.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In '93 '94 '95 I really dug them. The first time I heard of them was through an ex, Ginger. After '96 or so I listened to them part-time.

Loved the "Jeremy" video.

5. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

I love Pearl Jam! Was a casual fan until Yield came out in 1998. Major die-hard.
    I was more of an Alice in Chains fan but they weren't doing much in the late 90's.

I have just about every major release they made.
    I have every studio album from "Ten" to "Pearl Jam." Lost Dogs, LO2L, SVT, TB 2K, Three of 2000's Euro and Three of U.S. of that year's tour. Have 5 of the 2003 tour.

Had been a member of TenC in the late 90's til 2003.

Only seen them twice :(

I love Pearl Jam especially Eddie's lyrics.

6. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

I bolded some of the stuff...I like.

7. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

BTW...check out my user name!

It's a reference to "Sweet Lew"

:D

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I'm getting into this late, but there are TONS of great PJ boots on the web, lots of great covers I've downloaded.

As far as actuall stuff you have to buy, I"d go with the Ten, Vs., Yield, Vitology and the last one. The "bootlegs" they've released have also been tremendous.

Very few bands as good as PJ live.

And Double Down, nice going. I think that was from the episode right after Cobain ate his shotgun shell and they played three times that night. Terrific SNL.

9. Animal -- a personal fav, but a great song.

10. I've got a late dog in this fight -- hope Michael Vick won't mind.

Bad joke.

Anyways, if you're just starting with Pearl Jam, there's no better place to begin than with the Ten album. One of the greatest EP's ever in my mind. There's also a greatest hits collection on two discs out titled "Rearviewmirror" that is very good and has almost every one of their most popular songs.

If you're looking for individual downloads, start with these:

1. Alive
    2. Yellow Ledbetter -- can't believe someone didn't really like this one. If you haven't read the lyrics, you really don't know what the hell Vedder is singing, but still amazing. "I don't know whether I'm the boxer or the bag" is one of the best lines of any Pearl Jam song.
    3. Black
    4. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    5. Even Flow
    6. Porch
    7. Nothingman
    8. Betterman

Start with these, and you'll be an instant fan.

Oh, and the most underrated Pearl Jam song -- Crazy Mary. Love it. Love it.

And if you can find it, watch their two live performances on Saturday Night Live in 1991 and '92, I believe. They did Alive one year and Black the next. I've still got them on tape somewhere.

Pearl Jam is the main reason I want Bush out of office. Then they'll finally come back.

11. one reason why this place rules: you can always count on some solid pearl jam talk with some true, honest fans.

damn, dedo. that's a tough one. that will actually take some effort.

i'm going to go out on a limb here and piss off a ton of people: i think yellow ledbetter is an incredibly overrated song. is it right down there with wishlist and lass kiss? absolutely not. i completely respect how it's the bands go-to closer and arguably their most popular song not on ten. i'd rather hear YL 30 times in one show than have a show filled their pedestrian radio singles. but do you know what 40,000 people at alpine valley in 03 singing YL, a song with no offically published lyrics, sounds like? complete idiocy. well, 40,000 people singing PJ songs at the top of their lungs is always fresh, but it's a lot more moving when it's 40,000 people singing the end of jeremy than it is a bunch of muddled, inaudible lyrics.

just my opinion.

12. Dedo

Dedo Member

Another fun exercise for Pearl Jam dorks -- favorite songs by studio-album track numbers (we'll count the Merkinball EP):

Track 1: I Got Id (runner-up: Sometimes)
    Track 2: Hail, Hail (Long Road)
    Track 3: Alive (Daughter)
    Track 4: Light Years (Severed Hand)
    Track 5: Black (Nothingman) -- strong, strong group at No. 5.
    Track 6: Off He Goes (Thin Air)
    Track 7: Thumbing My Way (Insignificance)
    Track 8: Corduroy (rearviewmirror)
    Track 9: Garden (MFC)
    Track 10: Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town (Present Tense)
    Track 11: In Hiding (Better Man)
    Track 12: Come Back (Indifference)
    Track 13: Immortality (All Those Yesterdays)

EDIT: This was originally before Jimmy's post, but when I tried to edit it, I deleted it by mistake.

Draft saved Draft deleted