1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearl Jam fans: Are they going to start playing Brother live?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Det. Jimmy McNulty, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Took me till 2006 -- and a trip to San Francisco -- to finally hear that one. So worth it.

2. The "new" In My Tree blows. The original Jack Irons-style is one of their best songs. Hope that is the version you heard.

I agree with you on this. They've been playing those songs for almost 19 years now. I'm sure they're tired of them. But songs that they didn't play for years, like Why Go, Deep, and even epic anthems like Release are still epic as hell. Release doesn't require extraordinary pipes and is one of their best openers.

I'm sorry to hear Ed hates Brother, but it makes sense considering they only played it twice live (I believe). Such a great, great song. But at the same time, I have a feeling if Ed hates it so much, they never would have remastered it and made it a part of the Ten remix and as a single.

I too have been rediscovering the 00 boots after years of neglect. Been listening to Vegas, Indy and one of the Boston boots for Soldier of Love, I am a Patriot and 00 era Crazy Marys. Sick shit.

Jealous of those seeing Ed solo live. Should have got on that. Light Years is also an extremely underrated Binaural song.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I like the "new" In My Tree. Sometimes, I think I prefer it to the original, although deep down I know the original is better. Still, good song.

It was nice to hear in '06.

4. Magnum

Magnum Member

New? As in prior to No Code, or since? I've only heard the one version.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

They reworked it a bit for the live show starting in about 2003. It isn't *that* much different. It starts with Ed on guitar, instead of the Jack Irons drum intro, which is why most people don't like it.

Once it gets going, Matt Cameron approximates what Jack was doing, but it's still Cameron-ized (which IMO isn't a bad thing).

If you've got the Live at the Garden DVD, which is just stellar, it's on there.

Considering they weren't playing it at all between 1998 and 2003, I'll take the reworked version.

6. Magnum

Magnum Member

Thanks.

I just watched a 2008 version from the Garden, I believe. I see the difference but I wouldn't have necessarily called it a new version. Definitely more laid back. I prefer the No Code version. Little more intense.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Yeah, I agree. Wouldn't call it "new" exactly ... just tweaked.

8. Like the "tweaked" Jeremy they broke out in 95 and 96: Not good.

Matt is more than capable of playing the original version. Let's stick to the epic classic, as we heard in 98 and 00 when he started with the band.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I actually liked the new Jeremy. Twas interesting.

10. More than so fucking good. So fucking amazing.

How amazing?

After going to both shows in Nashville, I completely rearranged my vacation because I had to see him again. Ended up going to both Atlanta shows, too. So, saw him four times in one week. And I wouldn't trade that trip for anything...well, maybe full band shows. But, it was the intimacy that made it. Only had Ten Club seats once (second night in Ryman, which were fourth row dead center). But, all other nights I was still within 20 rows of stage with pure Ticketmaster luck (waiting for late drops).

Couldn't even begin to describe the highlights...there are far too many and I'm still processing it all, to be honest. I'm praying some of these shows end up on official bootlegs or maybe a DVD actually will happen.

Ok...just one highlight and it applies to the full band. The new song, The End, is fanfuckingtastic. I'm much more excited for this album than I was for Riot Act or Avocado. Maybe even more excited than I was for Binaural.

It's going to be a great time in a few months for Pearl Jam fans.

11. Good shit. Thanks for sharing.

12. Does Ed play Fatal live? Would be a shame if he doesn't. IMO, the band really does that song a disservice by not playing it as often as it should, which would be ANYTIME.

Draft saved Draft deleted