1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearl Jam cancels North Carolina show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Seems a lot more likely that you missed mine, which was simply that trans men have been using men's rooms as long as they've been passing.

franticscribe likes this.
  2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Like kidney stones?

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The old saw about North Carolina being a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit has been turned on its head.

When a South Carolina legislator tried to introduce something comparable, Nikki Haley and her staff shot it down with a quickness. Never thought I'd see the day.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Nikki's got bigger fish to fry ...

franticscribe likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Amazingly, the only thing probably keeping Alabama from shooting itself in the urinal cake is the governor's current, ahem, troubles. But we are still on the verge of abolishing marriage licenses as part of a long tradition of governance by hissy fit.

Bill to end Alabama marriage licenses up in House committee

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

There were probate judges who had serious issues with issuing licenses to interracial couples, too. Fucking bigot.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

8. doctorquant

Of course, no one's ever really explained to me why I need the state's permission to enter into a marital union ...

SpeedTchr likes this.
  9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Taxes, Quant. Even Krugman knows that.

doctorquant likes this.
  10. doctorquant

Guy I was in school with from first grade on through college was hell-bent to marry his gal even though he wasn't finished with his degree. His (and her) parents wanted them to wait, as I recall, but the (ahem) pressure was apparently building. Anyway, so he and his gal decide to go ahead and get legally married but keep it quiet, and then later indulge their families with a church wedding. So they trotted off to the courthouse, got themselves all licensed, then quietly got someone out of town to marry 'em. All was well ... except they forgot that the weekly in my little corner of bumfuck S.C. prints pretty much anything that moves in the courthouse, including (you guessed it) the issuance of marriage licenses.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. RevPastor

RevPastor Member

Aside from the fact that marriage predates religion, are you really unable to understand the various ways in which the state overseas such unions? Besides inheritance succession, there is legal residence as well. If anything, the state has more of a stake in marriage than anyone else.

Lugnuts likes this.
  12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Pearl Jam cancels one day, Pearl Washington the next.

Draft saved Draft deleted