1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearl Jam cancels North Carolina show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 18, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

People love a good boycott as long as it's in the spotlight:

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Are they taking political stands or are they seeking to operate in a place where they'll be able to hire quality employees, many of whom don't want to live in a place with discriminatory policies, such as HB2, in place?

Lugnuts and Donny in his element like this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

They're taking political stands. Which I'm perfectly OK with, BTW.

4. franticscribe

Last night the United States Commission on Civil Rights condemned HB2:

http://www.usccr.gov/press/2016/PR_Statement_LGBTDiscrimination.pdf

In fairness, two members of the commission dissented:

http://www.newamericancivilrightspr.../HeriotKirsanowFinalStatementwithAppendix.pdf

5. YankeeFan

So, if North Carolina had passed a stand alone "bathroom bill", would the blowback have been so fierce?

Are folks here against the "bathroom" portion of the law?

6. franticscribe

No because that's the portion of the bill that is most appealing to the general public, and it's less likely to ignite the entire LGBT community and its allies against the law.

Yes because I believe transgender people deserve the same basic human dignity that the rest of us have when we need to go the restroom. I think most people who are for the bathroom provision don't have much of any experience with transgender people and don't understand why such protection for them might be necessary.

Lugnuts likes this.
  7. franticscribe

I'd agree that PayPal is taking a political stand because their CEO has been pretty forward about LGBT issues. But most of the companies that are pulling back or turning away are doing their damnedest to keep their names out of the press. I don't think it's much of a political stand when you're not willing to state it publicly.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

9. YankeeFan

I agree, which is sort of what makes it interesting.

franticscribe likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Nothing like a throw-back to fifth grade. Oooh, I know you are but what am I?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

OT, if a man is transitioning to a woman but is pre-op where should she go to the bathroom when in a public place?

Draft saved Draft deleted