1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearl Jam cancels North Carolina show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 18, 2016.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

You clearly have no conception of what it means for a person to be transgender and are wrongly assuming that trans people are entering locker rooms and restrooms as predators. Got it.

The people of Charlotte saw the ordinance, which mimicked those in 200 cities and 19 states, as a necessity because transgender people face tremendous discrimination in public accommodations - bathroom use in particular - due to the kind of gross misunderstandings about them that you're displaying so keenly here.

Lugnuts likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Cirque du Soleil has dates in Dubai scheduled.

Cirque du Soleil cancels North Carolina shows over anti-gay law

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

But they are both so in touch with the struggles of the common man/woman, man who identifies as woman and woman who identifies as man.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There was a thread about Springsteen, too.

Guess I missed the huge breaking news about the Ani DiFranco cancellation and Cyndi Lauper's laudable altruism.

5. franticscribe

Ostensibly the Springsteen thread was about Mississippi.

Obviously DiFranco and Lauper aren't Springsteen, Pearl Jam or even Mumford & Sons, but they have their fan bases.

DiFranco was set to be the headliner of a major festival that's not music oriented, but has live music and that raises money for river conservation. She would've been the biggest act in the festival's nearly 30 year history and certainly would've helped drive ticket sales.

6. Dick Whitman

I guess we can agree to disagree on whether Pearl Jam, one of the most popular touring bands in the world for nearly three decades, canceling a show two days before it was to take place deserved its own thread when Joel McHale didn't get one for donating his proceeds to charity.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's funny watching proponents of local control getting bent out of shape when a municipality passes an ordinance they don't like.

8. franticscribe

You're inferring much more into my original comment than I intended. But that's fine. Pearl Jam cancelling a concert is a big deal. Yes. I agree wholeheartedly. They're an integral part of my youth. Seeing them in '94 still rates as one of the best concerts I've seen 22 years and a few hundred shows later. But Springsteen cancelling is also a huge deal. And Ringo Starr ain't no slouch. Apparently Mumford & Sons is a much bigger deal to the young 'uns than any of those performers.

Regardless, my point was that I thought it was interesting that it took Pearl Jam's cancellation to get a thread on HB2 started when the pot has been roiling for weeks now. And for comparison sake I threw in what other performers had done.

I could've mentioned PayPal cancelling a 400 job site expansion into Charlotte. Or Deutsche Bank cancelling a 250 job expansion of its facilities in Cary. Or Asheville losing an unnamed 500 job tech firm relocation. Or Raleigh losing $3.1 million in convention business - so far. Or Charlotte having lost 13 events, Durham being in danger of losing a $1 million convention. Or even the least understood, but most economically significant story, that the High Point Furniture Market has seen a serious downturn in attendance at its spring show and that looks like it will be considerably worse at its fall show.

9. Dick Whitman

Yeah, but none of those things broke during my modern-day cigarette break.

10. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

The "T's" joining hands with the "L's" "G's" & "B's" seems more about strength in numbers than
    like ideas. In some ways it would be like the Christians and Muslims banning together protest
    anti religion government policies.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Funny thing about all of these ... I thought corporations (shudder) taking political stands was a bad thing.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

You have shared a bathroom as a trans person before. You were fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted