1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearl Harbor thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Dec 7, 2006.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I've never understood why we continue to commemorate the worst Naval defeat in U.S. history.

Let's seen, the Japanese caught us napping, destroyed much of our fleet and much of our air force on the ground, at the cost of more than 2,000 men, and flew back to their carriers practically unscathed.

That's like the Army of the Republic celebrating Fredericksburg or Cold Harbor after the Civil War.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

No, it's more like Remember the Alamo. It's a rallying point and a reminder never to be caught napping again. Not to mention a memorial to a couple thousand people who were killed while defending their country against an uprovoked, unexpected attack.

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Yeah, calling this a "defeat" would suggest that there was a battle. Doesn't seem quite right. I see absolutely no reason why Pearl Harbor shouldn't be remembered.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

I've visited Pearl Harbor and the Arizona too.
    Very emotional, you see a movie on the history of what led to the attacks.
    It's introduced by a PH survivor.
    I'll never forget it.
    BTW, across the harbor is the USS Missouri, an amazing feat of engineering.
    RIP to all that died Dec 7, 1941 and the survivors that have passed on
    We will never forget.

One last thing, you walk through Waikiki and you think Japan won the war, tons of Japanese tourists, signs in Japanese, and Japanese foods.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Tons of Japanese visit the Arizona, as well.

6. Go to this site and click on the interactive map and timeline. Its the best resource I've found for actually explaining what happened on that day which shall live in infamy.

http://plasma.nationalgeographic.com/pearlharbor/

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Maybe I just didn't see it, but I'm a little surprised no one showed Tora, Tora, Tora yesterday/last night.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It moved Monday in advance. I believe it was placed on the features digest.

Draft saved Draft deleted