1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearl Harbor ... 9/11 ... UL-Monroe 21, Alabama 14 ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Terence Mann, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You heard that one, too....

2. Simon_Cowbell

There was also the incident about the positive comment he received for his haircut.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Holy fuck, is that great!

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I just watched part of that press conference. Saban's diatribe reminded me of Dirk Diggler's rant when he got kicked out of the poolhouse in Boogie Nights. Unintentional hilarity at its finest.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If Saban shouldn't be compared to Bluto Blutarsky, I would certainly hope he wouldn't be compared to Dirk Diggler.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Here's a good one -- Saban takes a page from fellow Belicheck protege/parasite/piggybacker/flunky/fraud Charlie Weis ... It's all the players' fault, I coached great, but they played bad:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1195550296143380.xml&coll=2

They don't have the "commitment" or "desire" we need, but of course they were recruited by the idiot before me.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You have issues.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

If huge chunks of the team is blowing off classes, what the heck do you want a coach to do? Sweep it under the rug? He gets killed if he does that.

Actually, I think that weeding out is a huge part of what makes Saban a good college football coach. He gets players in that buy into all his process-speak and then has success on the field. Once you start winning, and doing it with depth of talent, all that other BS takes care of itself. Players don't screw up when they know there are five other WRs behind them champing at the bit capable of taking away their playing time. (And that's why he didn't work at the NFL level. You can't create that same atmosphere.)

Saban certainly must be a pain to deal with for media, but you can't pile on him for demanding responsibility from his players.

Full disclosure: I grew up a Bama fan, but saw the error of my ways in college and now have very little love for them. I don't have any great love for Saban either, so save the "Thanks for stopping by, Nick" posts :)

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It also explains a lot of why you are the way you are... ;)

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

If you can find a longer story on Saban -- beyond the Pearl Harbor and 9/11 madness -- you'll see he also managed to compare his players to alcoholics "and people like that" who have to hit rock bottom before they can find awareness. Amazing stuff.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Number of dead at Pearl Harbor: 2,403.

Number of dead following the 9/11 attacks: 2,819 (*)

Number of people dead following 'Bama's loss on Sunday: 0

Other than that, it makes sense to compare tragedies to a defeat in a college football game .

(*) As of 9/5/02 according to NY magazine:http://nymag.com/news/articles/wtc/1year/numbers.htm

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, but look at all the Bammer dreams that were killed... that has to number in the thousands too...

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

As non-PC as you can get, but had me laughing until I damn near cried...

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2007/11/20/nick-sabans-press-conference/#more-4221

FYI: AIDS-y is my new favorite adjective.

Draft saved Draft deleted