1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peace be with you if you cover baseball for the AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheHacker, Mar 16, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Probably. If a writer leads with, as in the above example, a guy that goes 3-for-4 on the wrong end of a blowout, he's full of fail. If I'm a reader and a fan of the bad team, I'm insulted by that. I'll look at the box score to see who played worth a crap on my team. I can handle the gory details of the loss in a story.

2. But we can still expect the usual selection of photos featuring each starting pitcher and one guy sliding into second base, right?

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You're expecting a thoughtful analysis of the losing team's long-term middle infield situation?

Taylor said this stuff will be out 60 to 75 minutes after the last out. Prepare for the obvious.

4. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

60-75 is easily enough time to write a good game story.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's also enough time write a lousy one.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Is it enough time to write two? That's the point here.

7. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

60 is probably enough time to write two bad ones. 75 should get you two decent ones, as long as they're not expecting them to be that different.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But how many times can you write "Pirates lose again, but try really, really hard." I think most fans are smart enough to know that their team may not be the story every day.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Who says you have to write something positive in the lead? That's not what beat writers do.

I think one story can lead with "Albert Pujols had two homers" and the other with "Ross Ohlendorf got ripped again..."

Shouldn't be that hard to make the top 6-8 graphs different and have the same bottom.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why would fans in western Pennsylvania want any other team to be the story?

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Amen.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This. Baseball is pretty zero-sum. If someone succeeded, someone else failed equally.

Draft saved Draft deleted