1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PD: Exit polls show Kobe as MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how many people did he rape this year?

2. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I always think it's funny when people think that Kevin Garnett is solely responsible for this reniassance in Boston. Admittedly, he is a big part of the turnaround, but let's not forget that Boston phoned it in last year. You might be able to argue whether they intentionally tanked games, but the effort level was nowhere near what it is now. Secondly, didn't the Celtics bring in another all-star?...Oh yeah, that's right, they added Ray Allen to the mix as well. I'm not saying that Garnett shouldn't be in the running, but it has to go to Kobe. Giving it to LeBron would be a joke after Kobe did more with less (yes, less than LeBron has now) in the West during the 2006 campaign, including the 81 point game, and did not win the MVP. Chris Paul is the best bet for those who are too stubborn to vote for Kobe, but still, how does it not go to Bryant? People tend to forget that, even though they brought in Pau and Bynum has become a beast, the Lakers have been hit with the injury bug all year. This includes Kobe, who is playing with a torn tendon in a finger on his shooting hand; which you don't hear much about anymore because his level of play has not dropped off since. I could easily say that Kobe deserves it for getting hosed in the past, but I don't need to--he is the common sense choice for MVP this year.

And as for the "how many people did he rape this year" comment, maybe your sixth grade friends finds that funny, but it lacks humor and originality.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Well if we're going for most important to his team, it's gotta be Paul, although in that case I think a guy like Chris Bosh needs to be thrown in there as a runner up somewhere. The Raptors just do not win without him as they proved when he went out for something lie 15 games.
    I could live with Kobe winning it. I hate the guy, but he has been arguably the leagues best player for the last couple of years and I think he has only gotten better this year.
    But then again, I don't watch a whole lot of NBA.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Kobe will always be followed by the rape charges, as he should be. It's part of his legacy for better or worse. The attempted joke is not funny and neither are the apologists who insist he did nothing wrong.

That said and as much as it pains me to admit it, that he hasn't won an MVP is travesty.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why should he be followed by something he wasn't convicted of? If you want to hang infidelity over his head, fine. You'll be doing a lotta hanging over a lotta heads.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

OK, quick question. Once again if Kobe or Paul win there's no problem here. Say Ray Allen goes to Boston but KG doesn't. How many wins you think the Celts have now. Warning: Guesses over 40 are either incorrect or made by Tom Heinsohn.

7. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

But it was the addition of Gasol that pushed the Lakers to the favorite's role in th West. Wouldn't Gasol then be more valuable under that thinking?

I'm not a Kobe fan, though he is a superb talent. I'm almost to the point where I wish he would just win the darn award and get it over with and the media would get over fretting about it every season. It's almost become like the Academy Awards when some old actor facing death finally wins an award when it's truly not his best role. (And I'd vote for Chris Paul this season if I had one).

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, he wouldn't. Gasol might have been the missing piece, but that doesn't make him the player the Lakers could least afford to lose. Who would you rather lose, Kobe or Gasol? It's a no-brainer there. Kobe kept the Lakers in contention among the Western Conference elite well before Gasol got there and helped them go on a tear in February. Switch the roles and a trade for Kobe would help the Lakers make a push for the playoffs.

Again, I can't stand Kobe, but he's probably the MVP this season.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The evidence was pretty damning, dools. It was no Duke lacrosse case.

10. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Not trying to be a dick, but what evidence? I know there was evidence of sex. What was the evidence of rape?

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They also have Paul Pierce and they play in the East.
    I love Garnett but I don't think he deserves the MVP.

12. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Agree, from watching a lot of Celtics games this season, I think if you're going to nominate a Celtic, it should be Paul Pierce. Sure the additions have meant a lot, but Pierce has been the guy who comes up big for them late in games.

But Kobe Bryant should win it, with Chris Paul a close second.
    Bryant has done everything this season that everyone has always asked him to do. He's done it on a team with a slew of injuries (both Bynum and Gasol have missed large amounts of time, add Ariza, Radmanovic and Walton, too). He's also done it with a pinkie finger on his shooting hand in dire need of surgery.
    Also people forget even after Bynum went out and BEFORE they acquired Gasol, the Lakers were No. 1 or 2 in the West, so it's not like Gasol vaulted them into the top of the West. He's just helped the Lakers maintain the spot they were already in.

Draft saved Draft deleted