1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PD: Exit polls show Kobe as MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 9, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Plain Dealer surveyed MVP voters. Forty five of the 125 voters responded. Of the responses, 25 have Kobe first, 17 have Chris Paul second, only one for LeBron:

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/04/nba_voters_cooling_to_lebrons.html

Interesting that the only first-place vote for LeBron came from a Detroit writer. Many responders said the will decide between Kobe and Chris Paul based on who wins the West.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This is an age old debate -- what is an MVP?

If it is most important player it is either Chris Paul or LeBron James because both of their teams would absolutely suck balls without them.

If it is most outstanding player it probably should still be Paul, who is having a monster year at the most important position on the floor, but I can see the argument for Kobe, though I wouldn't agree with it.

3. Kevin Garnett?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No. Missed too many games.

5. rube

rube Active Member

This award is ridiculous ... it has been for years. Is it the best player? Is it the most valuable to his team? So on and so forth.

If it's the best player of the year, then I think it's Kobe. If it comes down to most important? Then it's a tougher choice with Paul and maybe even LeBron. But I think Kobe takes it in the end.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Doesn't matter. They gained, what, 45 wins following his arrival?

An absolute joke if he doesn't win it.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Exit polls?

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yep. Ray Allen had absolutely nothing to do with any of their wins. Garnett won't win it. Call it a joke if you like. It has been before. *cough* Karl Malone *cough*

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Normally, I would think the same. But the Lakers have been without Bynum most of the season, and the Lakers ares till in the hunt for home-court advantage throughout the playoffs. What Kobe's done this season has been pretty remarkable. And I can't stand Kobe.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dooley noted on Ray Allen. Still...the guy who put them WAAAAAAAAY over the top was Garnett.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Kobe Bryant has accounted for 26 percent of his team's scoring. Kevin Garnett has accounted for 19 percent.

LA, if they didn't grab Gasol, would have two players on their starting roster right now in double figures, OTHER than Bryant. Odom averages 14.2 (which includes inflated totals with Bynum and Gasol out) and Fisher scores 11.7 ppg.

Boston has three players over 17 points per game, led by Pierce's 19.8. Garnett scores 19 per game. Allen averages 17.9 ppg. Rondo has just over 10 ppg.

12. Jay August

Jay August Member

Just from what I've read and seen, it seems like a lot of voters made up their minds more than a month ago. All for Kobe. I don't like that. Just wait.

Obviously Kobe is deserving. Honestly, I wouldn't be offended if he, KG or Paul won it. But I wonder how many voters will give it to Kobe based on his career and the fact he doesn't have one yet. I hope that wouldn't happen, but I bet it does.

Draft saved Draft deleted