1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PC to TV converter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ondeadline, Apr 9, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Without Extra Innings as an option for me this season, I've purchased an mlb.tv subscription. Right now, I'm watching most of the games on my laptop computer, but I'd like to watch them on my TV.

I've got an s-connection on my TV, but not on my TV. Because of that, my only option (please tell me if there's another!) is to by a PC-to-TV Converter. I've seen some on e-bay for $39. Circuit City has one for around $90 and Radio Shack has some for more than $100.

Does anybody have experience with these converters? Do they work well? Is one brand/model better than another?

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

The joker has lipstick on his teeth...

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You actually have several options.

1. You can purchase a PC to TV converter.

2. You can purchase an S-Video to Composite Cable.

Option two will come in rather cheap. These things can be had on the internet for less than $20. It plugs into the S-Video and your audio card's output and then the other end is the three Composite Connections for your television.

If your television doesn't have the composite input, I'm sure your VCR does.

4. ondeadline

An S-video to composite cable would only work for me if the composite cable plugs into my PC. I have an S-video connection on my TV, but not my PC.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

My apologies, I thought you had S-video on your laptop and not on your TV. That is very common.

It is rather unlikely that you would have a composite connection on your laptop, though.

I'm pretty sure they make a VGA to composite cable though. Maybe even a VGA to S-Video.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Side note: I have worked with computer to TV converter devices and they work well. You generally need to scale down your monitor resolution in order for the television to take the entire image, but it works just fine.

7. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Haven't tried using any of these, but:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Pc+to+tv+converter+usb&hl=en&um=1&lmode=online&scoring=p

8. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Why don't you have access to Extra Innings? Cable just picked it up last week, matching DirecTV's offer.

9. ondeadline

Because I have Dish Network and another year on my contract. The financial penalty for leaving Dish is steep.

Draft saved Draft deleted