1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PC has officially run amok: Johnny Miller apologizes to Rocco

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's crazy. I remember hearing the quote and thinking nothing of it; I thought of it coming off as like he's a regular dude that hit it big, y'know?

Ridiculous.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't think Rocco asked for an apology. He and Johnny are both Callaway guys, and they tend to stick together.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

When I heard Miller say it, I thought it was just stupid on its face. It made no sense in neither an offensive nor a non-offensive way.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

They were dumb comments -- when he made the crack about a name like Rocco being on the trophy, I remember thinking "isn't the name 'Tiger' more stupid?" -- but not to the point of the formal apology, a separate story in papers, etc.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

That's not offensive. It's abnormal; but it's not offensive.

6. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Add me to the list of people not offended by the remark. In the contact of what was being discussed, Miller was portraying the guy as your average working stuff.

If there's a stereotype out there for a guy doing menial labor around the house, wouldn't it be a Japanese guy with a leaf blower?

And as for the name on the trophy, let's face it: Golf has long been a country club sport, with lots of club titles won by Biff, Stanford, Phillip, Stanley and a slew of gents with "III" or "IV" at the end of their names. Rocco is about as much a "working-class" name as you'll find.

7. Notepad

Notepad Member

I am not offended, at all by Miller's comments.

But, think for a minute if it had been reversed. What if he would have said Tiger looks like he is a guy who should be cleaning Rocco's pool....it would have turned into a race issue (by Al Sharpton, Jemele, et al) before that round would have even been finished.

Just sayin.

8. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

PC has gotten out of hand. I remember Miller saying that and I thought it was odd, maybe inappropriate, though I knew what he meant by it. Still, I didn't think it was offensive and never thought it deserving of a formal apology.

9. I thought the reason Miller was so giddy about Rocco was because he was likely remembering his own Open at Oakmont. If anybody deserves a pass on empathizing with Mediate that day, it would seem to be Miller, right?

10. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

All Johnny was trying to say, basically, is that Rocco looked like Walter Matthau, the stubbly, pool-cleaning Little League coach in "The Bad News Bears." I don't know how that became "offensive." Alas, these are the times we live in.

11. Notepad

Notepad Member

Again, read my post earlier in this thread.
    If this is the other way around, they are playing the race card...hard core.

Draft saved Draft deleted