1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PBEO Baseball Job Fair

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by The Cubby Bear, Aug 18, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

didn't it used to be more?

2. copygoldleader

copygoldleader New Member

The better the job, the harder it is to get an interview at PBEO. For every PR position, there about 10-20 sales jobs. That being said, if you are interested in sales, you will get multiple interviews.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Other than all the negatives that everyone has been listing, is there anything positive about going to this thing? I'd like to go, but it seems as though the negatives are overpowering the positives on this.

4. lefty2432

lefty2432 New Member

I went last year and 99% of the job/internship opportunities available were in sales. Even in the orientation type deal they do at the beginning (if you go to that. I did cause I was a sucker), they push sales on you in that too. Almost everything you will see posted is "group sales representative" or "ticket sales internship." There were a few listings that sparked my interested, but when there are approximately 400 jobs posted, and you can only find 5 or 6 postings that are of any interest, it just makes me feel like I wasted money.

At least it was in Vegas last year, that was fun. You will almost certainly meet some famous baseball names. So to sum up my experience, I spent money on airfare, hotel, and registration, came home without a job and was able to say that I met Ozzie Guiilen.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As an aside, it's remarkable that the winter meetings are in Indianapolis. Supposedly the first time they've been held in a non-MLB and cold-weather city. The folks here that lure such gatherings are magicians.

6. Kevin,

You must be new to these boards... negativity is a running theme on these boards.

You need to listen to the people who have actually shared their experiences of attending this job fair -

Lefty had a bad experience - and that sucks. He is right to say that a lot of the jobs/internships posted are for sales positions... and they do push sales on people at the job fair. Still, the year I went, I saw at least 50 jobs in the PR field... maybe I went in a good year.

I do know that last year there were job postings for Stockton and for Beloit... I can go further to tell you that even though I didn't attend the meetings last December, I was offered the gig in Stockton because of the connections I had made the previous year in Nashville... I then turned it down and it was offered to someone that interviewed in Las Vegas.

I can also tell you that there are always going to be at least 30-40 PR internships available at the job fair - and that not everyone at the fair is looking to get into PR (and that at least half the people who think they'd like it, are not qualified to do it ... because they have no PR or journalism experience/education)...

As someone posted on here earlier, some of those are going to be posted on teamworkonline --- but if you look closely at teamworkonline (one of, if not the only, sports job website that is offered for free) you'll notice that only a few leagues use the website to post jobs. The Cal League, Eastern League, PCL, Midwest League and Sally League use the site... but that leaves out the International League, the Texas League, the Southern League, the Florida State League, the Carolina League, the NY-Penn League, the Appalacian League, the Pioneer League, the Arizona League and the Northwest League... those leagues will all have jobs posted at the job fair that you will not see on teamworkonline.com.

Like I've said - I went one year... I had a great experience. It wasn't so much meeting Cal Ripken or having lunch with Harold Reynolds that made the trip worth it --- What made it worth it for me was having drinks with the General Manager for the Toledo Mudhens and West Virginia Power ... and meeting a group of guys my age that all went out and landed PR & Radio internships at the Winter Meetings that year.

And of course, I guess it didn't hurt that I got lucky and landed a PR internship... and ultimately landed a PR Director position with a Double A baseball team this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted