1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PBEO Baseball Job Fair

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by The Cubby Bear, Aug 18, 2009.

1. I've gotten a lot of questions about getting into PR with a pro baseball team. The PBEO job fair at the Baseball Winter Meetings is one of the best ways to go about it. This year's fair will take place in Indianapolis... especially if you're a year or two out of college.

There are hundreds of jobs/internships - including A LOT of PR positions available at the fair.

Here is a registration link - If you have any questions, feel free to ask -

http://pbeo.com/job_fair.aspx

2. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I worked in a minor league baseball front office my first year out of college. There were times when it was a lot of fun but also times where it really, really sucked (I remember working 30 out of 31 days in the month of July). But if you like to be around baseball it's definitely the place to be.

3. Golf is right - there are times the job really sucks ... and every season will have a stretch where you're working 30-of-31 days are something close to that... You won't get weekends off if the team has a home game...

That said - some jobs in the Minors are better than other jobs... and some places to work are better than other places.

So - it's pretty much like any other job. Only you get to watch baseball games.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll offer my basement (not far from downtown) for considerably less than the $125 downtown hotel. I too have complimentary wireless and almost certainly a bigger TV :)

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Fixed.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

This fair sounds pretty cool. I might try to attend this.

7. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member

If you want to attend for the sake of being a part of the Winter Meetings spectacle, that's one reason to go. But the PBEO Job Fair itself is not necessarily worth your money, factoring in the airfare, hotel, membership fee and entry fee. Most MiLB teams post their openings online (for free) with their official job posting site TeamWorkOnline.com. It is rare that PBEO.com will have a job listing that is not already on TeamWork. (It's not in the team's best interest when seeking qualified candidates to limit their search to only those paying PBEO dues.)

If you've got the money, here are some benefits of attending the fair:
    -Meeting others looking for jobs in the industry
    -You MIGHT get a face-to-face interview
    -Cal Ripken, Jr. may be eating lunch in the hotel next to you.
    -You can say you were there when a big trade or signing occurs

Asside from that there's little advantage to spending the money required to get there and attend. But if you do go, don't forget your resume and work samples.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

If anything else, I'm sure this fair is a great way to get your name out there, make some contacts, etc.

9. Lincoln, you're right to think that a lot of the jobs/internships posted at the job fair are also posted on teamworkonline... It isn't in our best interest to limit our search.

However, as a candidate, your job is to stand out from the crowd. You can be one of 500 people to apply via email... or you could be one of 50 people to apply in person.

As far as "might" getting an interview. I'll say it like this - I was less than a year out of college, I had a degree in journalism... I was a stringer for three different newspapers (no full time work)... and I got two dozen interviews when I attended the job fair ... as opposed to zero calls when applying on teamworkonline.

As for the actual meetings - I was in the lobby when the Miguel Cabrera trade went down... I ate lunch with Harold Reynolds and I met Cal Ripken Jr (funny how you mentioned that...)

The real treat to the meetings, though is the night life. The hotel bars are packed with front office members of the minor league teams... you WILL meet a lot of people and you will score interviews just by talking to people during the after hours.

Having gone through this process... getting my start in the business because of this process.. and now being a PR Director for a minor league team because of the connections I made during this process.... I would recommend it to any young kid who wants to work for a baseball team.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Just having read that is probably going to be my reasoning for attending the fair/meetings this year.

I had a freind attend the winter meetings last year, and he had a blast. He made tons of contacts in the business and got to meet a lot of cool people.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

$200.

What a fucking joke.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

$200 to get a chance to work a table for free selling raffle tickets during some minor league game.

Draft saved Draft deleted