1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Payton's decision to on-side kick: Is it only a good call because it worked?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Feb 8, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Everyone knows that the call will be cheered if it works and booed if it doesn't. But it's right or wrong regardless of the outcome.

2. Crash

Crash Active Member

I don't like the argument that it was bad because the Colts simply didn't execute. The point of the onside kick is catching someone off guard so that it's difficult to execute. Baskett was out of position, had to make a quick turn, then made a desperate dive at the ball. How many times do you see a guy who dives at a football smother it clean on the turf, especially when he's running full speed into that dive? The Saints were likely banking on Baskett at least getting a chance at the ball, but they were also banking on the fact that if he didn't catch it clean, they were going four-on-one for a loose football. And they should have had it easier than they had it.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As much as I loved that call by Cowher, I think Payton's decision took more guts. What happens if the Steelers fail? Hell, they were huge underdogs and they were already down 10. No big deal. But I think Payton would have been ripped pretty hard if the Colts had recovered and gone on to win.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He had scored 10 points in the entire half, and looked afraid to run his offense in the previous quarter.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Re: Payton's decision to on-side kick: Is it only a good call because it worked?

Gross overstatement.

Colts ran only SIX PLAYS in the second quarter.

First drive ended with Garcon dropped pass.

Second drive was a little conservative on third down. But it was from their own 10-yard line with 1 minute left. They just wanted to avoid a momentum-changing mistake. They get ripped for it now, but 31 other coaches --- including Payton --- likely would have done the same thing.

6. Guy_Incognito

I still think that his ribs were hurt. That last drive was so uncharacteristic of their offense. Either way, there was no reason for Payton to be game planning under the assumption that every time Manning got the ball it was going to be an easy TD.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When you choose to onside kick you are certainly factoring in other team scoring as worst cast scenario.

8. Guy_Incognito

Of course, but that's not what you were saying.

9. Boom_70

I guess you better tell me what I was saying then because now I am not sure.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think if it didn't work, I don't think Payton would be getting trashed, even if the Colts recovered and Manning threw a TD on the next play.

11. Boom_70

Agreed - worst case it ended up 17- 6 with Saints getting the ball. In 2nd qtr they showed they could move the ball with most of 3rd qtr left.

The key to success in these type of plays is coach properly assessing the situation and not just calling at random. Onside kick at that time was perfect.

Had the score been 17-6 or even 13- 6 he might not have made the same call.

I've not seen it anywhere but it would be interesting to hear Payton's full thought process in making decision.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Re: Payton's decision to on-side kick: Is it only a good call because it worked?

Really? I can see Whitlock and maybe Doyel sticking up for him, just because they revel in being contrarians, but I think the rest of the media would have destroyed him if that scenario unfolded.

Draft saved Draft deleted