1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Payne Stewart - 14 years later

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UNCGrad, Oct 25, 2013.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Hard to believe it's been 14 years since Payne Stewart died in an eerie plane crash. Happened on this day.

Pinehurst, site of the 1999 U.S. Open that Payne won a few months before his death, has a few photos and video clips today:

http://pinehurstresort.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/we-still-miss-you-payne/

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

14 years? Is that a big anniversary? That's an odd commemorative number.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yup. Next year, it'll mean way more!

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Fixed.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Also on board was Stewart's agent, Robert Fraley, a one-time back-up quarterback at Alabama who had a hand in one of the strangest Alabama-Tennessee games ever 39 years ago this month (speaking of timely anniversaries):

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/golf/stewart/stewfs06.htm

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Retired abruptly?

Fraley was also Parcells agent and then through Parcells became
    Francesa's agent.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I once got into a furious debate at a roulette table over what I considered to be an odd number.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this.

I used to be really big into writing anniversary stories. It was an easy angle, and I suppose milestones like 50 years, in particular, or 20 years, are ways that people stop for a moment and consider the passage of time.

But it's way overdone. It feels so arbitrary and manufactured, particularly since we now make a big to-do over things like 14th anniversary.

Part of this is just me. My wife, for example, really gets into annivesary dates and times of the year. For example, she's dreadfully anticipating the one-year anniversary of a relative's death. That kind of thing just doesn't do a whole lot for me. Wonder if it's a gender split at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Am I missing where they're making a big deal over the 14th anniversary? I just see where they've written the date with a "We still miss you, Payne." They don't even have the number 14 written anywhere, at least as far as I can see.

10. I blame 9/11 and Generation X.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Like the anniversary of people's births. Those are totally overdone. ;)

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Because we're supposed to be celebrating the anniversary of people's conceptions. [ducking]

Draft saved Draft deleted