1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paying to see practice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

So the college team I cover always has every practice closed. Trying to get in is completely impossible, and I've been thrown out of one camp for trying. Anyway, this week the university has a thing where for $75 you can watch the men's basketball team practice and interact with the head coach.

I told my publisher to try and get me a ticket because, hey, it's an opportunity to see practice.

Is this unethical in any way?

2. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Why the hell would you want to do that?

3. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

It's preseason. I'll take any chance I can get to get a gauge on this team, as well as any chance I can get to see something my competitors might not be seeing.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I don't understand how it can be open to fans, but not the media.

And who the hell would pay $75 for a ticket to any practice?

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I'm not surprised at what school is doing this...

6. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I kind of get why you'd want to do this, but I just don't think you're going to see anything that will get you anywhere, assuming, and correct me if I'm wrong, that this is a one-time thing.

If you had season-long access to practice or once-a-week access, it might be different, but even then I don't think media outlets should be paying for access. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

7. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Definitely a one-time thing. I figure the chance to see what goes on behind closed doors can only help me.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

If it's open to fans, it's not actually behind closed doors. Seems like it will be more of a show, not a routine practice and thus not worth your money, IMO.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Practice? Practice? Not a game. We talkin' 'bout practice.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Though you could write a tongue-in-cheek story about what $75 gets you. Make the point that you're not allowed at practice but went on the company dime to see if it could possibly be worth it. Then again I don't know how much you want to tick off the coach before the season starts over an inconsequential thing, if you need to have a working relationship with him all year, but $75 does sound like pure larceny.

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

You probably won't gain anything on the competition by going. Everything that happens will be posted on message boards.

But yeah, if the company is willing to fork over $75, I don't see any harm in going.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'm stunned at the reaction to this. Why wouldn't you take the opportunity? Maybe you could, you know, learn something about the team you cover?

Draft saved Draft deleted