1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paying for wireless at the NCAA Tournament?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CCaple, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I had the same thought. Funny and sad at the same time.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Agreed, but the $10 fee is progress. I see that as a positive. It's crap, but it's less crap.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I'm covering the first-and-second-round women's games in Iowa City. The press area has ethernet hookups at every seat, but the NCAA told the university they have to turn them off.

Last year, when I was doing the women's games in Des Moines, if you used the password for the wireless that you used at the state high school tournaments the weeks before, you could get in without getting charged. The NCAA never caught on.

4. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

We have all of our writers on wireless internet cards so we always have it and there is no extra cost. On a side note, we buy unlimited minutes so they can use them for personal and we don't care.

5. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

You may need to be prepared to pay much, much more at a certain arena in NC that is hosting rounds 1 and 2.

Just had some issues last week while covering high school hoops regionals there. Fortunately, while covering a college women's tourney game at the same place, the league gave all members of the press an access code. And since I had that code, it worked wonders after one high school game that ended pretty close to deadline one night.

Otherwise, it was an $89 hookup fee

6. Well, is the NCAA allowed to shut down the free wireless of businesses in the area? If not, and you have enough time to do it, that's an idea. Obviously, that isn't happening if you have the last game of the day and have to get a paper out, but if the team you're covering has an early start, it would be feasible.

7. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Papers used to spend a lot more on phones. And even had to pay for fax service.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If the NCAA pays for its setup and provides it, charging is fair.

If the facility routinely provides it free and the NCAA comes in and charges for it, it's horseshit.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Don't most conference tournaments set it up and provide it for free. I don't ever remember paying for it at any SEC tournaments and I didn't pay for it while covering the Southern Conference tournament this year, and I know that was set up special.

10. I know for a fact it is provided free of charge at the Alamodome in San Antonio, because I had free access while covering the Alamo Bowl this year.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Considering the NCAAs play in big-time arenas I'd find it hard to believe the organization has to set up any networks. Sorry, it just smells to high heaven to me, whether it's $10, $35, whatever.

Or maybe if you use the phrase "student-athlete" in your copy, you get it free?

12. CCaple

CCaple Member

It's free at the Pac-10 Tournament, and it's been free at every single arena/football stadium I've ever been to. This just seems downright ridiculous to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted