1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paying for wireless at the NCAA Tournament?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CCaple, Mar 9, 2009.

1. CCaple

CCaple Member

Looks like you have to, as the telecommunications order form now lists wireless internet for $10 per day. What the hell? Have they always done this?

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Seems like it actually used to be more than that, actually ...

3. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

It used to cost a lot more.
    Like $35 or something.
    It was insane, because these are arenas that had everything been left the same, it would have been free. Wireless had to be turned off so the NCAA could charge for it. Often, it would be a volunteer taking care of it, and they might see to it that your password worked every day, or that everybody had the same password, so a friend from another place might tell you and you'd get it for free. Nonetheless, when worked properly, it was absolute robbery.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/55333/

5. That's such BS. I wonder if there are ways around it?

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

When we had multiple writers covering an tournament event a couple of years ago, they allowed us all to share a username and password ... but that's about it.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If it's $10, that is a serious bargain compared to two years ago.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, when I covered the women's tournament in Chicago a few years back, it was $35 a day.

Deadline wasn't a serious issue because of the time of the game, so I just went back to the hotel to file, since I was already paying for internet there ...

9. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm not complaining about the $10. I've paid way more in the past, and my bosses are (obviously) budget-crunching more than ever this year and praying for our area's teams to get close sites.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Just because it was more in the past doesn't excuse it, imo. That's just money-sucking crap from an organization that prints it.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You should give it to us free! [/newspapers]

Draft saved Draft deleted