1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Pay)wall comes down at Dallas Morning News, however...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gravehunter, Oct 1, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

...you can now pay for the premium content service.

http://paidcontent.org/2013/09/30/another-wall-tumbles-the-dallas-morning-news-dismantles-its-paywall-focuses-on-premium-content/

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

... and that sounds like a good way to do it.

3. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I wish the gas stations would do something like this. Gimme that 89 for free, but only make me have to pay for the 93.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

SF Chronicle does this. Nobody ever pays for the premium content. The content isn't all that premium, and I suspect it will be the same for DMN.

This is a wishy-washy move and one that doesn't help in any direction. Therefore, it is a natural from newspaper executives.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Premium content back in the golden age of big, talented staffs and fat budgets might have been one thing. But now premium means less-spartan than the underfunded, bare-bones stuff they already give free.

Of course, people would have balked back then, too.

Downward spiral unabated.

6. Schottey

Schottey Member

DMN has one thing that SF Chronicle doesn't, however. When January/February rolls around and Rick Gosselin starts his annual dominance of draft coverage, a lot of people who don't give two craps about the DMN will be signing up for premium content. SF Chronicle has some good writers, but no one I'd specifically pay for.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ha. Good one.

I don't mean to denigrate Gosselin, he is among the very best at what he does, but not many people are going to find him so indispensable that they have to pay for him instead of just clicking on TheMMQB.com, ESPN.com, NFL.com or a hundred other free outlets.

Draft saved Draft deleted