1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pay threshold for managers to rise to 50K

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think throughout history, when you have business owners and workers and no government or union protection, you have very low-paid workers in unsafe conditions with no benefits.

It beats having to deal with government red tape, I suppose.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yet somehow that signature will put money in workers' pockets. How could that be?

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sez you ...

4. cranberry

5. doctorquant

Lay out your expectation cranberry ... are you saying some affected workers will be better off? Or are you saying all affected workers will, on net, be better off?

6. cranberry

7. doctorquant

Here's my expectation ...

Some of these workers will walk away with overtime, so they'll make more money. They'll also wind up working under less-desirable (for them) conditions -- say, crazier "fractional" shifts, etc. -- and whatever benefits they have will be trimmed back.

Many more of these jobs that would have been filled with "managers" will now be filled with part-timers who don't get benefits. The people holding these jobs will be compensated less because they'll be, on the margin, less valuable. Further, as many of them will now have to piece together a living in multiple locations, their net earnings will be even lower.

And, finally, as the effects of this all play out -- some of them seen, some of them unseen -- you, or somebody like you, will be clamoring even more loudly about how we "need to do something for the working poor!" And some politician will give you a chubby by signing some other document, and the cycle will repeat itself.

I'm 99% confident about my first two points. That third one? That's a lead-pipe cinch, baby!

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Unless you can take an apple pie cut into 6 pieces and make it into 8 pieces that are each as large as the 6 pieces were, you are selling a fantasy.

And people at their core know it -- even if there still are people who love the fantasy that someone can wave a magic wand and change reality.

Most people, however, know the bullshit inherent in these fantasies. And they are just tired of the paternalistic act that presumes people were unable to, or were too dumb ("they don't realize they are simply being taken advantage of") to realistically evaluate the leverage they have when they need a job and make the best decisions they can on their own given that leverage.

9. cranberry

Workers will get paid more money. I know that sucks for you guys. Too bad.

White House Plan to Extend Overtime Pay Sparks Businesses’ Outcry - WSJ

10. doctorquant

You mean President Obama's Labor Secretary thinks this action by President Obama is a good thing?

Wow, I am gobsmacked! That changes everything!

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You mean the 1 percent and their sycophants think it's a terrible idea that will only cause a loss of jobs? I'm gobsmacked!

Trickledown, baby, trickledown!

doctorquant likes this.
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Having motivated, happy workers is also good for business. That's why Walmart decided to raise the minimum pay of its work force across the board.

They figured they could scrape up the money somewhere so they didn't keep losing business to retailers whose employees didn't act like disinterested zombies.

Draft saved Draft deleted