1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pay threshold for managers to rise to 50K

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 30, 2015.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Are you paid $50,000 a year? If so, why do you think that?

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I do not earn that now, because I am out of the industry doing something I love for a nonprofit. But I earned it for much of my journalism life, when I worked in an area with a high cost of living.

I've just always had a good feeling about my worth to my employer and the area. I've felt underpaid. In one case, relative to what reporters were making, I've felt overpaid. Right now, I make nowhere near $50,000 -- nor does my wife, who works here with me -- and I would feel like I am ripping off the people who benefit from our services if we were to take that large of a pay increase. I'm not worth that much, nor are the kids straight out of college who could probably do the same job.

But I am a weirdo.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The value you provide isn't always remunerated in dollars. You're working for a nonprofit doing something that you feel is important and worthwhile and helping other folks. Good for both of you.

FileNotFound likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted