1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pay rates for first job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Aug 28, 2007.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Guys, kinda new to this but I have a question...

I'm interviewing with a small small paper in the midwest for an SE position and want to know what to expect to get paid....

It's a 2,000 circ daily, with a decent online audience, and coverage of about 10 high schools.
    Located between two bigger cities that also cover most of those schools.

I know 2,000 is super small but its a four person staff:

PUBLISHER
    MANAGING EDITOR
    SPORTS EDITOR
    G.A. REPORTER

Full-time, Salaried with benefits but i dont know how much it will be.
    ANY CHANCE I GET 20,000?

wow isnt that sick? Im hoping for 20k

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Push for $21k. Stay firm. The second they offer $20k, take it.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I started at $18,000 at a 12K paper.

Good luck getting 20,000 at a 2K.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

are newspapers even in the business of negotiating these things?

The feeling ive been getting from interviews is that it is usually a set thing, take it or they will find some poor schmuck who will.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I usually take a day to digest the offer, come up with some questions I have for the gig, then ask, "is there any wiggle room in your offer?"

All they can do is say no.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Likely not at your level. But I was able to negotiate a higher salary and more vacation at my current job.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I guess im not sure how everything works in the business yet.

But an paper with a 12 k circulation with more staff might have less to pay than a place with a very small staff?

or am i very wrong?

the only other job in the state as of late was 21 k at a 7,000 but it had 3x the staff.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It all depends.

9. spud

spud Member

As someone graduating from college in May, this thread scares the hell out of me. Pray to God my experience holds up, I guess, and gets me enough to rub two nickels together.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

well as someone who just graduated from college man, let me tell you it scares the hell out of me too.

First came the post-grad unpaid internship

followed by interviews with offers of 24k and 21k that I didnt get hahahaha.

I'm sure 20 years from now when im working for some huge paper or espn this will be funny but not now.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I made $8.50 per hour at my first full-time gig in 2002. I believe that works out to $17,680. I make a good amount more than that now, but if I told you how much you would still be very scared.

12. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

Remember, everything is negotiable. That being said, good luck getting 20k at a 2,000 in the midwest.

Draft saved Draft deleted