1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pay rate for stringers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jun 18, 2010.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Are you kidding me? Our editor is more than happy to chop full-timers and use more stringers to cover events. In fact, when I stressed I wanted our lead high school reporter at a state final to do a column and gamer, but that we needed to make sure the desk was covered as well, my editor said "have your staffer come in and work the desk and just find a stringer to cover the game. That's what stringers are for."

MINGYA! This guy gives me heartburn [crossthread]

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Red: If you're gonna say "MINGYA," then he needs to give you "agita."

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Major metro a couple of hours up the highway pays $55, but I only write about four grafs and throw in an abbreviated box. That's for football and baseball/softball. AP pays $50 for a college basketball game, but needs 100-150 words right after the buzzer and then a couple of writethrus. That's a lot for 50 bucks, but I enjoy doing it, so I do.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I used to pay $25/story OR photo shoot when I was a small (10K) SE. I compensated by paying mileage somewhat generously ... had a few lifers that just liked to go out and cover games that were dependable that were part of my crew.

They still pay $25/story, and skimp on mileage. Rate hasn't changed in (at least) 13 years.

6. nate41

nate41 Member

Won't mention the specifics, but I did two games for a major metro and was told 150 a pop. Also said it would be in my account within 24-48 hours. It took closer to a week, but I got a 50 dollar bump for each story, so no complaints here.

7. WBarnhouse

WBarnhouse Member

A potential employer for a freelance gig wants to know what I'll charge by the word for stories. Tried to judge from posts on this thread but that's difficult. If I write a 500 word story and charge 15 cents a word that's $75. Don't want to price myself out of some extra coin but not sure what's fair to me and the potential employer.

8. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Everyone has their personal threshold for what it's worth, but I generally accept assignments that earn at least $25 an hour. So from the time I arrive at a game until the time I leave is four hours, then $100 is the minimum charge.

If I were in my 20s, I'd probably charge less, just for the experience. But I'm way past that.

Draft saved Draft deleted