1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pay Rate for Freelance Articles

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Syboc, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Syboc

Syboc New Member

I'm hoping to get some input from the braintrust on something I don't have much experience in.

I have the opportunity to write short (200 to 400 words) articles on potential college sports recruits for a new website. These articles are relatively easy to write and detail the schools recruiting the athlete, and the factors involved in the recruitment.

What I'm wondering is what a fair rate for these articles would be. I have minimal experience in this area, and have heard anything from $10 to $50 from friends. For what it's worth, I think the total time to produce this content would be less than an hour per article, from calling the recruit to finishing the article.

All input is appreciated.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OK, if it takes less than an hour, start to finish $20-25 is going to be pretty damn good.

If it involves travelling to a game or practice, sitting for three hours and then writing, you may want to ask for a little more.

In the end, it's like anything else, you get what you can negotiate and some places are going to pay more than othes. I've walked away from freelance assignments because the compensation just wasn't worth the time I would have to put in to put out a respectable article.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If it's a new website, they probably want you to work for free or pay per click type bullshit. A lot of these new sites are like that.

Also, you may have trouble collecting money from them, or extreme delays. A lot of web sites (even some papers) are bad for not paying promptly, like 2-3 months after the work is done.

Just another thing to consider if the time is worth it or not.

4. ringer

ringer Active Member

I think you might be underestimating how long it takes to do these stories. Writing might go quickly, but everything that comes beforehand -- reporting, fact-checking, reaching the athlete by phone, transcribing -- might take longer than you think.

If you're writing about colleges and recruiting, you can't afford to make errors.

Don't do it for less than $50. And if you have years of experience, make it $100 a pop.
    I'm not kidding.

5. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

here's a trend I'm noticing ... i'm getting the gamer/second day follow 2-story package offered a lot more. The two-day total is slightly less than if I filed two game stories, but definitely worth the time.

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Think of a number in your head. Now double it.

That's what I'd ask for.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dammit. The number was 0.

Seriously -- "getting the recruit on the phone" is often a hassle. So I don't know why you think these will be easy-breezy 45-minute stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted